Join our investing community

Anyone else doing Kaplan FFP SN1001?

Discussion in 'Financial Planning Study Group' started by K_veg, 14th May, 2011.

1. K_veg

K_veg Active Member

If anyone else is out their doing Kaplan Foundations of Financial Planning (SN1001, updated Mar-11)? I'm working on the assignment (Peter and Susan and Attain Financial Planning), and wouldn't mind bouncing some ideas off people!

2. Bausser

Bausser New Member

Hey mate

Yeah I'm doing it as well, I would like a study buddy as well.

Hit me up with a PM some time.

3. tines

tines Member

Hello, i have just enrolled in the course and just recieved study material. I think its a greta idea for a study buddy system where we cn all bounce ideas off eachother are you guys interested in somehting like this?

4. Bausser

Bausser New Member

yeah man

do you have an email?

5. tines

tines Member

re

ill pm you that

Last edited by a moderator: 28th May, 2011
  6. Samanthak

Samanthak New Member

Hey,

Ive just started mine not long ago and im 100% interested in a buddy system. :)

7. K_veg

K_veg Active Member

Great! There seem to be a few of us. Not sure the best way to go about it, maybe email me, then once we have everyone's email addresses that will be easier?

Last edited by a moderator: 26th Aug, 2013
  8. Matt78

Matt78 Member

I'm totally up for that. PM me for my email, or send me yours. Ironically I got 100% for the first 2 exams of DFS, but still working on the first two assignments (about to resubmit Walter Gannon - the first assignment).

Kaplan offers little help, so we gotta help ourselves/each other I guess.

9. K_veg

K_veg Active Member

Oh, I thought you had to complete the assignment before you could do the exam?

10. kp123

kp123 New Member

Hello everyone

Really glad that I found out this thread.I ve started FFP(SN1001) this May.I welcome this buddy system as well.....Stuck up with the assignment as of now.

True that Kaplan provides a very little assistance.Need to help ourselves.

11. kp123

kp123 New Member

Hey mate,

I am frm Adelaide as well. Have u taken up the exam?

12. val40

val40 New Member

Hi guys,

I'm interested in joining the buddy system and I have emailed Karen my details. Hopefully she can get back to me soon and we can start bouncing off ideas :)

Have a great day people!

13. fattyman

fattyman New Member

I'm pretty interested in bouncing ideas off too. I'm about 1/3 through the assignment.

Anyone done the implementation schedule question? I want to compare what I've done.

Last edited by a moderator: 1st Sep, 2015
  14. re_coca

re_coca New Member

Hi, I'm in Adelaide too, I've started the course 2 weeks ago , and any help would be more then wellcome!!!

15. DylanM

DylanM Member

Hello all.

My name is Dylan - just signed up for first module a few weeks ago. Planning to submitt the assignment tomorrow arvo. Was a real big pain because it's so 'back to books' its so far away from what really happens. I'm a paraplanner and got the next 12 months to finish all modules + gearing & then become an Authorized Rep for my dealer group. Been paraplanning for 7 months now straight out of uni.

Not up for sharing emails but will be around this forum alot and happy to help anyone and bounce ideas, etc.

PM or discussion of forums - I'll do my best to contribute.

And yes, Kaplan are very unhelpful.

16. valei30

valei30 New Member

Foundations of Financial Planning SN1001

Hi there
    wish I'd seen this site a while ago, due to hand in assign shortly, the SOA has taken me ages, have found the questions much easier to answer. I believe we have to use same headings as in the Case study SOA just not sure if we are allowed to use same wording and input our own figures and scenario? Have found studying this way a little frustrating, so think buddy system is a good idea. FFP is only the 1st subject but seems to entail considerable work for an introductory subject, I suppose understandable due to all the legislative changes being introduced in the industry.

17. DFP FFP

DFP FFP New Member

Asset allocation - Susan & Peter

How do you work out the asset allocation weightings ??:confused:

18. valei30

valei30 New Member

HI there, found this old post that might help answer your question:

Look at the different asset classes in the portfolio - property, shares, cash, whatever. Then total up the value of all the assets and work out what is the proportion of the total investment assets that's invested in each class, as a percentage? That's how you work out your asset allocation and I'm pretty sure that's how they've done it in the case study. The fact that they haven't taught this means that there can't be much weight put on it though - just give a percentage by value in each asset class and yo'll be fine.

The variances I think come from how much they've actually got allocated in each category compared to their ideal asset allocation, the notional asset allocation that is inferred form their risk profile.

In a real SOA you'd make your recommendations, look at the asset allocation that resulted and figure out from that whether or not your recommendations matched their risk profile - are they overweight in some categories/underweight in others? That's how you'd fine tune your recommendations to ensure that the risk/return of the whole portfolio is balanced to their risk profile.

Don't get too caught up in the mathematics - that's not really the point of the exercise. You do portfolio construction in IP1.

19. PLG100

PLG100 New Member

Risk Needs

Hi Guys :)

Im plodding my way through the assignment & am about ready to hand it in but I'm stuck on a section in the fact find.

Does anyone know how to calc the risk needs of the client for the fact find?
    It doesn't really give us much info on how to do it in the study notes

Any help would be appreciated :)

20. Tegan

Tegan New Member

Anyone else just started FFP AS1001??

Hi guys,

I've just received my Books and have been reading my way through the enormous amount of study pages over the weekend. I'm keen to hear from anyone that is studying the same subject at the moment so we can bounce ideas around for the SOA (Susan & Peter). It doesn't look too tricky, but seems very time consuming!! if you feel like starting a little email study group, or at least a sounding board for ideas.

Cheers,

Tegs