Join our investing community

Are all hot water heaters created equal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JudgeDreadz, 21st Apr, 2010.

1. JudgeDreadz

JudgeDreadz Well-Known Member

I have to replace my water heater in my unit. It is a Rheem. Capacity 55L, Electric.

My plumber quoted me $1100 for Installation and removal of the old heater.

Is this pretty steep?

One of my friends got an 80L for about $800 I think.

Oh, and I found these plumbers through recommendations from friends and continue to use them because they did a good work on a previous job at my place.

2. Billv

Billv Getting there

Sounds a big high to me, $800 sounds about right.
    Are they both installing the same brand heater?
    Shop around, find some in your local paper and call them up for over the phone quotes

3. JudgeDreadz

Update:
    I have got another quote and it was $1400 for full service.
    I called reece and the unit price costs $530.

So it looks like at least $500 for labour.

Any plumbers out there that can tell me if this is fair?

Also, are installing pressure limiting valves really necessary?

Can anyone recommend plumbers in the Lower North Shore area?

4. Billv

Billv Getting there

You'll pay double because of location location

I wonder if Blacktown hot water will install in your area....
    Blacktown City Hot Water Service
    102 Boundary Rd, Schofields, NSW 2762
    p: (02) 96275447

5. JudgeDreadz

And then...

Thanks for your suggestion Bill. I went with the original $1100 quote because I trust someone with a good track record and this trust is worth the extra $200.

And on this occasion, I was wrong.

The tradesmen came in on time and installed the thing with no fuss.

The system worked correctly.

However, when I went to turn on my washing machine - BANG. Washing machine dead.

Opened her up and water had gotten in the circuits. Replaced fuse, still dead. WIll need a service. Spent pretty much the whole weekend running around and looking for parts.

Obviously, when I told them this, they denied all responsibility. Fair enough. I have no proof that they were responsible for the water getting in (though my washing machine sits below the hot water heater).

Also, I received the invoice from them the other day, the price matches the price quoted. No problems here.

However, no warranty information. Is this normal? If something goes wrong with the heater (god forbid) am I meant to chase up these jokers and get them to come out again?

Has anyone got any idea on what I am meant to do from here?

Thanks guys.

6. Billv

Billv Getting there

The receipt is your warranty but the heater would have had some warranty paperwork with it. If it didn't it doesn't matter the receipt is your proof of installation.

If it fails within the warranty period you would have to get a plumber to look at it, I'm guessing that if it's a warranty issue he can make a claim from the manufacturer and get paid from them.

I had an issue at home with a mixing valve which mixes the hot water going to the bathrooms with cold water to stop people from getting burned.
    Anyway, this valve got faulty and we only had cold water in the bathrooms.
    I didn't know who the original plumber was so I called the factory and they sorted things out.

In regards to your washing machine, perhaps it was a coincidence but I doubt it. There isn't much you can do through if you didn't see it happen.
    There are many dodgy trades people around, so you've got to keep a distant eye on them when they work.

Since I mentioned dodgy, 3 years ago I had the hot water tank replaced in 1 of my IP's. The tenant leaves and a new tenant moves in but they realise that there isn't enough space for their washing machine ( which sits next to the hot water tank). I went and had a look and the plumber had installed the hotwater tank 15cm away from the wall.
    It was convenient for him. Anyway, I got my property manager to call them back. They said it's not their fault, it's been 3 years etc etc...but after I threatened to report him to the licencing authorities he went in and fixed it all up free of charge.

So in short I wouldn't worry about warranty.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: 9th May, 2010
  7. handyandy

handyandy Well-Known Member

Out west I can buy a 50L Rheem for $390

Seems like there is a massive premium for North Shore:eek:

If you haven't payed the bill yet can't you withhold an amount for the washing machine repair? Why the hell they wouldn't move the washing machine is beyond me.

Cheers

8. handyandy

handyandy Well-Known Member

Double post

9. JudgeDreadz

Thanks Andy and Bill for our replies.

Andy - i guess the reasons I don't want to withhold is beccause I have no proof that they are responsible for it.

Or don't I?

10. KateMelb

KateMelb Active Member

I always go with tradies who are from more humble areas of town. If they get greedy, they're out. It shouldn't matter where an IP is - fixing a water heater should cost the same regardless of the suburb, except perhaps a small allowance for petrol if the plumber has travelled from further afield.

11. JudgeDreadz

Hi Kate, interesting strategy.

Can you define what a humble suburb is?

Can you also explain what you mean by "if they get greedy they are out." Do you mean because the cost of labour around those areas is low? and if they overcharge they will be out?

12. Billv

Billv Getting there

Their expectation of profit is generally lower.
    If you were to install the same thing in Parramatta would have paid around $800

13. KateMelb

KateMelb Active Member

Hi JD,

Humble is not Toorak, Brighton, Peppermint Grove, Double Bay and the other wealthiest suburbs around the country.

Getting greedy in this context means charging an unreasonable amount of money solely based on the assumption that because of the location of a property, its owner will accept overpaying. The cost of labour should not be based on the location of a property - it should be derived through the skills and experience of the person offering the labour, plus their outgoings.

14. JudgeDreadz

Thanks for your help guys. I guess this was something of an expensive lesson, so I will make sure I learn from it

=)

15. twakelin

twakelin New Member

have you talk to other plumber or a company? there lot plumbing company dude ask some like Sydney Plumbers here