Are renters trashy?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by BillV, 17th Nov, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

more here
    http://news.domain.com.au/domain/blogs/talking-property/are-renters-trashy/20101115-17u39.html

2. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Oversensitive tenant, I'd say. I would have interpreted this simply as meaning that they had been there for a while, probably evidenced by all the knick knacks in the place and personalised items. No big deal.

3. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Hi Jacque
    That was my first thought as well.
    However, if they don't want to be criticised for how they live they can buy their own property.
    Btw, have you received my PM on SSF?

4. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hi Bill

Unfortunately not everyone can afford to buy and actually there are some permanent tenants I know who are quite happy with their lifestyle, electing to rent even when they own IP's.

No PM received on SSF? Just email me- it's faster.

5. GunnerGuy

GunnerGuy Index & Property Investor

Having had up to 4 I.P's concurrently over 17 years I have been through quite a few tenants. My experience I would say that 80% of tenants I have had have been good. Never late with rent, kept the property well, and existed "cleanly" at the end of the tenancy.

However, there are those tenants who are bad.

Yesterday I got a call from one of my tenants (3 years in the property at rental rate 20% below market rates) whose lease expires on 1st. december. I informed them that I was not renewing the lease on 7th. November. So yesterday they called to say they cannot move out because they cannot find an alternative rental and that I did not give them enough notice. She is mortgage broker with a well known mortgage company and he is and HR manager at a large company. He said to me "we cannot move. Do what you have to do".

Remember that leasing a property is a BUSINESS with rules and regulations. Treat it as such and treat the tenants as they should be treated. Open information exchange, honesty and transparancy. But if they are not honest use all leagl means to throw the book at them.

So with these tenants I am going to do what I have to do. Get my property manager to start legal proceedings immediately even though the lease does not expire until 1st. December. Write letters to the tenants employees and references informing them of them breaking the law and also informing the Mortgage FSA about the tenant with a mortgae license. I will send copies to the tenants telling them that this is what I plan to do.

They are lazy and cannot be bothered to move out. I may loose some money on legal fees and a month or two of rental income however I will ensure that their reputation in their organisations is affected and the mortgage licensing authorities are aware of one of their members breaking the law. They have a lot more to loose.

Any further advice of my options from the forum ?

GunnerGuy.

6. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Gunnerguy

Is your property in NSW or in another state?
    If you want to evict someone you'll need to give them 2 months notice in writing and to allow for postage time or if you have a signed selling contract you can give them 30 days (that's how it is in NSW anyway).

If they don't find another property in that period, then you'll need to take the case to the tribunal which is likely to give them even more time.

I'm trying to get someone out at the moment and he's finding it very hard to find suitable accommodation.
    When the tribunal extension he's got ends, he will either have to hand the keys back or I'll apply to have him forced out (will get the Sheriff and locksmith to help me with that).

That's how the process works anyway, in my case I've taken the case to the tribunal and have a definite possession date but the Sheriff charges to come over so I'll try to come to an arrangement with the tenant if I can.

7. robmillion

robmillion Member

Despite the number of tennants who trash houses, never mow the lawn and allow their nappy clad 2 year old to wander about on the street, there is a large % who value their rental property as if it were their own. I've been renting for the past few years and have always done my best to not only maintain the property, but improve it where I can.

8. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

I don't know about a large number.
    I can tell you that tenants like you are not easy to find