Are we getting close to market correction?

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Maverick__, 30th Mar, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Mark - my current strategy is based around the fact that I'm very over allocated to one or two funds, and I'm using the returns of those funds (both income and growth) to increase my holdings in other funds to balance my portfolio.

Once I've built up my overall portfolio to where I want it, I will then continue to cream off the profits, but this time I will use the proceeds to invest in more real estate.

Once I've got my real estate holdings to where I want them, I will probably start taking the profits and pay down my debt levels a bit further, so I can maintain a lower LVR overall.

Then once I'm comfortable with how that's all going, I will probably start all over again, increasing my fund investments within my new, lower LVR levels. Then more property, then pay down debt, then more funds at a lower LVR, etc etc.

But in general with selling off some of the funds - it's not much different to Steve's strategy with the NavraInvest funds ... sell when it's up, and buy when it's down. Lock in some profits, and take the opportunities to buy back in cheaply when the market softens.

The key is that I'm only selling off a set percentage of my holding in that fund (5 - 10%, depending on the fund), I'm not liquidating the entire fund ... so I still get most of the benefits of future growth.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

... but I'm not trading individual shares here ... I'm investing in managed funds. I'm investing in funds that I believe will continue to perform well in the long term, even if there are market downturns in the short term that hurt returns.

As such, I'm not about to sell out of a fund to "cut my losses short" if I still fundamentally believe that there is a reason to be in that fund. Rather, I will be taking the opportunity to buy more and increase my returns when it DOES go up.

I don't need to manage the risk as much, because I'm not investing in a single stock, I'm investing in a fund which has exposure to a lot of stocks and does most of the risk management for me !!!

3. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

Would taking dividends & distributions to pay down debt be a reasonable strategy to take some profit or lock in some gains.

Also what about selling down to covert to propety based funds that are less volatile?

MJK

4. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Yeah that's what I meant Mark.

Mark

5. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Sim,
    I didn't know that you are not trading individual shares.
    I misunderstood you.Sorry about this...
    Investing in managed funds is another story.
    In this case it's not much you can do.
    Good Luck :D
    :cool:

6. Maverick__

Maverick__ Well-Known Member

Shares tumble - pullback? correction?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,18768002-31037,00.html

Is it really likely to "drift off in a shorter week ahead"?

7. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Hi Tropo,

I was answering in terms of managed funds. The funds themselves get in and out of companies, but I have no reason to ever sell my units in the funds.

8. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Interesting article by Alan Kohler

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/fear-not-even-as-we-enter-upon-the-third-leg/2006/03/28/1143441150288.html

Not sure I entirely agree with the assertion you should value miners at spot price given they usually lock in forward sales...but I don't think he's saying that's the right way to go...just that it may be better than chronically undervaluing future earnings...

Elsewhere I've seen AMP's head beancounter saying "fair value" for the market is 5600.

I tend to agree that there's more left in the tank yet...

Cheers
    N.