Are we through the storm?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Jacque, 13th Oct, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chris C

Chris C Well-Known Member

Whilst you may continue to just to be another opinion, I think your opinion is obvious a valuable one with a lot of experience behind it - even if you do stay anonymous.

My IP will be negatively geared, but not heavily. I think my monthly shortfall will end up being around $600, and I'm earning around $9,000 gross a month. So servicing the debt won't be a massive issue, assuming rental yield stays somewhat the same.

Though copping a 20% loss in value would definitely hurt even if it is my ego that is hurt more than anything. Plus I think I should be aspiring to avoid significant losses if they are foreseeable.

:eek:

For the most part I'm young and don't have a lot of investments to my name, but I have a pretty good cash flow/income and I'm pretty cashed up at the moment (just looking for a place to park my money and I'm getting anxious waiting for the "right time" to invest).

Patience is not a virtue that is prevalent in my generation apparently...

What do you mean by "guidance"?

Also do you think the markets really aren't expecting worse results in Q4 already and have already priced it in?

I listened to part 1 and part 2, but what did you find so interesting about part 2?

Obviously the historical failures at attempts to inject money into correcting markets to prop things up (ie the bailout plan) makes me further doubt things might be different this time around...

Please feel free to do so - I always find it an interesting read...

;)

At what point can't you get out of a contract though, because my mate and I signed everything back in August and opted for a long settlement given that the owners were moving to Sydney in November. Can we still renegotiate the contract once the offer has been accepted?

So you are expecting prices to fall by 30 - 40% then?

So you obviously don't think the housing shortage, the fact that Australia doesn't have non-recourse loans, the boost in the FHOG and the RBA's ability to drop rates significantly lower will play a roll in limiting the decline in property prices?

2. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Actually IMO the troubles the world is going through today are very different to those of the past

Cheers

3. try anything once

try anything once Well-Known Member

I doubt there has ever been a financial crisis where the participants at the timedid not think "this one is different". Of course they all were very different, but looking back at the historical data, and without the commentary of the time, the market reaction following a correction looks very similar. Lets hope this one is relegated to history in the same way..