ASX down 150 at lunchtime.......

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Alan__, 16th Aug, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

yes I was buying today, about lunchtime got into LGL... spewing I missed out on ZFX arrr well once in a lifetime opportunity missed!

2. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Well, that was an interesting day at the office.......:rolleyes:

At one point I thought it was going to be one of those days they named after a colour.

For those that didn't get enough excitement today, S&P Futures are currently pointing to a sharply lower opening on Wall Street. Time will tell, but tomorrow may be another interesting day on the Australian Market. Hold on tight.

3. PJA__

PJA__ Member

I have NFI, but my short FTSE is paying off atm, as for the DOW, who knows/ + - 200, ho knows ??

4. DaveJ__

DaveJ__ Well-Known Member

Just curious... One post on ZFX having a 9+% yield and now everyone wants to buy it???

:confused: :confused:

Has anyone actually researched it?

DaveJ

5. BSB

BSB Active Member

All I would like to say is that this is now the time for NavraInvest Funds to walk the talk. Steve and co must be kicking themselves that just as soon as the fee structure (ie outperformance fee is changed to fixed fee) the market goes and does its 'thang' where it would probably most come into play. But them's the breaks....the knuckles are just that little bit white from the past week's wild ride but here's looking forward to a most satisfying "whoosh" :p on the other side! (unlike, say, an unfortunate base-jumper in Norway recently :eek: )

6. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

- DOW down overnight about 340 points and comes back to close at 15 down! :eek:

- Yesterday's 5% fall and then significant bounce.

- Throw in a bit of poor OZ IT Helpdesk support to help mix things up a bit more.......and........IF you haven't sold.......

I don't think the trading conditions get much better for NavraInvest!! :eek:

What's needed now?

1. Cool heads.
    2. A bit more volatility.
    3. Followed by a nice recovery(from bottom) towards End of Quarter Distribution. :D

Well that's my hope. We'll see what actually happens.

7. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

Dow down 340 points? Since when does the US follow us?? lol

8. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

15. Aug.2007 - 12.30 GMT.

Jul US.- CPI and Core CPI (yly)
    cons. +0.2$
    prev. +0.2%

Jul US.- CPI (x-F&E)
    cons. +0.2%
    prev. +0.2%

;)

Attached Files:

9. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

And today its been up 60 points, down about about 60, back up 40, down 40.
    This is the kind of thing Navra was built for wasnt it?

10. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

sounds like alot of brokerage costs to me!

11. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

The way I see it...so correct me if I am wrong.

Well...yes and no.
    You see...what small private trader can do is not always possible for big players (fund managers and the like).
    Small player can dump/buy back small parcel of shares in a matter of seconds - few times per day. Unfortunately fund manager can not do it.
    Playing with a big amount of shares requires time to sell/buy etc. Fund manager can not simply damp large portfolio in few seconds as he/she can move the market in his/her favour (up/down).
    Navra system needs volatility, but he needs at least few days on the way up to make profit.
    Intraday trading may help trading small parcels, but I do not think (I may be wrong on this) that he is trading every up and down during the course of the day.

During dot.com boom K.P. was dumping his dot.com stuff, and it took him few days to unload the lot.
    :cool:

12. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Steve told me he was trading intra-day, but that doesn't mean that he was necessarily trading the volume that would take the most advantage of the intra-day volatility - for the reasons you mention.

Don't forget that the NavTrade system is a progressive trading system, they don't just buy or sell everything in one go, they will sell progressively more and more as a share rises, and conversely, buy progressively more and more as a share falls ... I would imagine that there would be limits on the size of individual share holdings and quite possibly limits for how much they would buy/sell each day too.

13. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Hi Tropo.

I may be wrong too, but my understanding was that intraday trading was always very much a part of the system.

As for shifting the market, I would think that:

a) given the size of companies Navra are dealing with,
    b) the relatively small size of the fund, and
    c) the fact that they are normally trading opposite to the rest of the market

would mean that their trading style had a minimal effect on market movements. I may be wrong, but that is my understanding.:)

14. bundy1964

bundy1964 Well-Known Member

Fund Managers had a big part to play yesterday, hedge funds selling and the likes of SUN and PPT making some big buys. Scared sellers still need brave buyers or you have no market.

15. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Hi Alan,

Yep.....intra is part of his system but as I said he can not buy/sell whole portfolio every say ...10-20 min.

re-a) - I would think that companies' size does not matter as long as you are trying to dump more than average per position. You can still do it, but it takes time and sometimes you are forced to sell with a discount if you are desperate (I've been there-done that :mad: ).
    re-b) - sure N fund is not as big as other funds, but is big enough to move the market (IMHO) ;)
    re-c) - well....some pro are trading like N. what means, they are "fading" the market - so they are selling at certain level (on the move up) when shares are overbought&overpriced.
    Anyway....that is the way I see it. But again....I may be wrong.:eek:

16. redrover

redrover Well-Known Member

I would not have thought NI would have been so badly affected by the falls as they have considering all the volatility they were crying out for!! Was -7.45% yesterday - how on earth are they going to claw back for any returns this quarter, never mind where we were this time last year? Now really comes the testing time for an INCOME FUND. A word or two from Steve at this testing time might not go astray.

17. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

This is why I disagree with this Narva Fund, and don't like its stratergie.

Firstly you cop trading costs from consitantly churing stock, then your hit capital gains tax, and your hit by down turns in the market as well. You have 3 things against you.

Whereas a growth fund you only pay tax once you sell, their trading costs will be alot lower, and they have the same exposure to the market as Narva.

18. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

EVERYBODY is affected by current fall.
    And guess what....This is NOT even correction as far as I am concerned !!.
    Do not expect miracles if you think that trading the market is as easy as acquiring few IPs per year.
    Everybody so far is in the same boat....(check other funds !!).
    If you do NOT understand what trading is all about play golf instead...and keep on dreaming.
    :cool:

19. redrover

redrover Well-Known Member

Off your high horse Troppo. Some of us do know how to trade, a few shorts and some puts doing nicely thank you very much. The question is for the fund to have been 40% or thereabouts in cash and to be down as much as it is does not provide a lot of confidence going forward. Fortunately I had sold quite a few units before the major drop so will be investing directly into shares when the market looks like turning up again. Call it diversification of investment methodology! I like to be able to pull a trigger every so often.

DCT unfortunately continues to add to a losing position without the benefit of knowing when the bottom will be reached. Are they out of funds by now for any additional buying? If they are, and the market drops another 5%, no ammo left to do anything about it but wait for an eventual turn around! Ho humm, what will be - will be.

20. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Don't you think that your TAXI needs a service at the moment and you need a long holiday??. :rolleyes:

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia