ASX index versus accumulation index?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Simon Hampel, 17th Sep, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I've been trying to find data on various ASX indicies - and looking at the information on the ASX and Standard and Poors websites, they seem to refer to an "accumulation index" as being a separate (but related) entity to the base index. The description from S&P states something like they just add back the value of distributions when calculating the accumulation index - which by implication, is NOT done for the standard index.

So, why doesn't anyone publish data on the accumulation indicies ? They aren't listed on the ASX or S&P websites (although S&P publish tables with annual returns), nor does Yahoo have a separate listing for accumulation index data.

... or am I misunderstanding the difference between the two ?

The reason I want this info is that some managed funds benchmark their performance against an accumulation index - I'd like to be able to chart this, but I can't find data for it like I can for a regular index.

2. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Maybe below links can help :eek:
    Financial Dictionary – Meaning for Accumulation index

Global Financial Data
    ;)

3. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

They're available on Comsec reports etc.

XJO is the ASX200
    XJOAI is the ASX200 Accumulation Index.

For my benchmarking I use the XJO even though I contest the XJOAI is a better benchmark.

Cheers,
    Michael

4. Simon Hampel

mmm ... I've since found out that the Accumulation index data is no longer made available without paying very large $$$ to S&P ... the ASX no longer publishes the accululation data either. Bummer.

5. DaveA__

DaveA__ Well-Known Member

Could it potentially be one of these

H-SPHERE

H-SPHERE

Found From Here

im thinking they might not have them labelled because they are expensive and dont want to publise the info

6. Simon Hampel

7. Rod_WA

Rod_WA Well-Known Member

The Accumulation Indices assume all income (eg dividends) reinvested.

A nice interactive tool is by Vanguard:
    Vanguard Investment Australia : Special Presentation
    You can use the marker to get a measure of the accumulated performance.
    The tool also compares shares vs property, fixed interest, etc, with useful plots of inflation, interest rates, etc over 37 years. Enjoy!

The Australian shares index plotted is (from the website text): Index prior to 1980 is the MSCI Australia Gross Total Return Index. From 1980 the index is the S&P/ASX All Ordinaries Accumulation Index.

(But it's not the S&P ASX200 Accumulation Index, nor is it the Morningstar median accumulation (a crappy, lower performing benchmark) - against which many managed funds are measured).

8. Andrew Allen

Andrew Allen Well-Known Member Business Member

It's a wonderful thing to track yourself against the XJO and have all the benefits of the XJOAI.. I have this superb system that will deliver 4+% outperformance based on this I will share with you perhaps.... :) The ASX200 is yielding 4.2% odd last time I checked.. Bit like investing in property and being told you won't be able to use the rental income, just the capital growth.

I think it's close to dishonest to mark yourself against the XJO when you are a share picker, if everyone knew the difference between the two then it would be more honest.. but very few do I have discovered.

Econmagic have free monthly data for the AI which I use, otherwise the FinRev have it or various paid data providers, nothing good on a daily basis for free that I have found though.

9. Simon Hampel

Pretty much what I've found too ... S&P are charging so much for the data that nobody bothers to use it in anything other than summarised form :(

10. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Bloomberg have the accumulation index as ASA30:IND but only 1 yr data by the looks

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia