Join our investing community

ASX200 aggregate stats

Discussion in 'The Economy' started by goponcho, 29th Jul, 2019.

1. goponcho

goponcho Active Member

Hi,

Is there a place to find aggregrate corporate earnings, sales or book value for the ASX200/300?
    Looking at observing changes over time for as long as possible.

Have had a look through the ABS site but cant find similar nor through google.

Thanks!

twisted strategies likes this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

the ASX 200 ( XJO ) is not a static beast , the S&P index is rebalanced ( re-assessed ) 3 monthly many companies that were in the index .. say 10 years ago have shrunk ( fallen out of the index ) gone broke or been taken over , and in some cases demerged from a current XJO participant and still large enough to be listed in the XJO ( examples are S32 and COL , but there are others .)

( even moreso the top 300 or XKO )

please be careful when comparing apples vs. oranges

good luck

goponcho likes this.
  3. goponcho

goponcho Active Member

Sorry about the super late reply. Thanks for the input. I know there are limitations, but it will hopefully provide an approximation of what trends there are. Mainly hoping not to dollar cost average into a bloated market if obvious.

Is there a place to find aggregate corporate earnings for the index or do we need to sum them individually over time - quite an onerous process!!

4. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

it is only my opinion but the market appears bloated to me currently

( Australian ) reporting season is warming up , if concerned about the current value i would look for a small dip the end of this reporting season but before most of the companies go ex-div.

to me ( my opinion only ) if the XJO ( top 200 ) breaks 6188 (to the low side ) in the current reporting season , that would be a bad sign , dividend expections should support the market for the next couple of months and a 10% dip is normally considered healthy ( as long as it doesn't crash through that too badly )

aggregated corporate earnings .. not that i am aware of , but if you find it please be careful that there is not a time delay on the data ( say more than 3 months ) 200 companies and not all report strictly within the time-frame so your might only get a guide rather than a solid piece of data

i kept having this issue on debt to equity calculations

i think a constantly changing top 200 and share buy-backs will muddy your figures constantly

good luck but please take care

5. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Yes, for example if you go to the website for the Vanguard product for the ASX300 (VAS) you will find this information.

Investment Products

Everyone is aware of this information so take care.

6. goponcho

goponcho Active Member

Thanks for the input guys.

Will see if I can work out the corporate earnings over through time VAS if it allows me.