Join our investing community

Attn Jane - House relocation costs - moving about 10 metres over

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Ol School Skata, 1st Mar, 2006.

  1. Ol School Skata

    Ol School Skata Well-Known Member

    7th Nov, 2005
    I have done a search for this but was looking for any members who may have done something similar recently.

    Looking at a property situated on 2 blocks (approx 600m each), double storey chamferboard (blocked in underneath). I am curious as to the costs and approvals required to move the house over up to 10 metres, raised to legal height, closed in underneath, so it will sit on block 1 and leave block 2 vacant.

    Can anyone share any costs involved and council approval processes required? Who would i speak to assist in this process?

  2. Jane

    Jane Active Member

    16th Aug, 2005
    Hi OSS,

    This is a whole process that starts with DA, which involves application to council to change the use of the block, possibly demolishing part of the existing house (if it is in demolition control - which you can find out about by just ringing a townplanner at the Council and giving them the address). In the same application, you would give all details of what you want to do, eg. raise to legal height (many cases have a 8m overall height restriction), move over to one lot (minding setbacks of 1.5m on side boundaries), and what you want to do with the second block, ie new dwelling. It is my experience that fees charged for this process will be based on each dwelling, so as you have two lots and wanting to put two separate dwellings on, equals 2 amounts. It used to be around $800-$1200 each, but may have changed recently.

    The cost of moving a house over for me has been in the vicinity of $10-15k, taking into account variables such as lie of the land, soil type (as this determines the footings required - to determine THIS you need a soil test and slab and footing design). Anyway, that's getting a bit indepth at this point.

    Basically, the best way to do this is via a Town Planning Consultancy who may charge around $2-3k for the DA process.

    Does this help? Let me know if you have other queries and I'll see if I can help.

    Good luck - it's all fun!!!