Join our investing community

Author's

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by D'Phytr, 30th Nov, 2009.

1. D'Phytr

D'Phytr New Member

G'day to all,
    i am here to ask a few questions that i hope this forum can help me with.
    1. i notice that new books now have a number in them, could anyone tell me what its for and how does a new book get a number?
    2. what is needed as far as any form of registration needed for a new author, and what is the best way to go about this eg reg a business name, ABN etc
    3. what would be the best way for all the above to take shape if i wont to sell a book i wrote online,

basically I'm asking for a step by step help to get my book from phd format to sell online and do it the correct way as to maximize any return into investing
    thank you all
    Danny C:)

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

I assume you are referring to the ISBN (International Standard Book Number).

As far as I know, Thorpe-Bowker are the agency in Australia for issuing ISBNs, more information and pricing here: ISBN Agency

You don't need to register a business to publish a book - you can run a business as a sole trader using your own name as the business name (and only your own name - you can only trade as "Joe Bloggs" not as "Joe's Plumbing" unless you register a business name).

You can get an ABN as a sole trader (provided you are actually running a business and aren't just engaging in a "hobby").

I don't know anything more than this about self-publishing, I've not been down this path myself yet. I'm sure there are plenty of people around who have.

My advice? Just get your book printed, put up a website with a shopping cart and start selling it.

Unless you think you are going to make a LOT of money out of it, I wouldn't bother going to too much trouble.

Perhaps do a Google search on self-publishing ... there's a lot of information out there about how you might go about this.

3. pcj821

pcj821 Member

Hi D'Phytr,

If your looking for a step by step guide, I recommend buying a copy of Euan Mitchell's "Self Publishing Made Easy" this book is absolutely fantastic for a first time author and it will explain everything you need to know step by step. I think it only costs about $30 too.

you should also check out this site:

Welcome to ASA

I also recommend getting your book professionally edited and typeset (if you haven't already done so), however typesetting can be done yourself, if you need to save money.

What's your book about?