Bad mannered agents!

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jacque, 26th Mar, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Most agents I deal with are professional and courteous, however every now and again along comes one or two who just can't help themselves and end up resorting to boorish and hostile behaviour when things don't go their way. There are also some out there who could do with some further lessons on real estate procedures and the law in general, but I could write a book on that :rolleyes:
    I don't normally like to gripe but lately I've had a few such agents and I need to let off some steam!!!!

Some examples of what I've experienced lately.....

When explaining the results of a building inspection weren't good and the sale was likely to fall over, the agent accused me of inventing the entire inspection report in order to re-negotiate!! (Duh.... his colleague was there to open up the place for both inspectors!) I mean, conspiracy is one thing, but come on!!

When I enquired on a particular house for sale, not only had the listing agent NOT been inside the property (which has been advertised on realestate.com for the last 3 days) but neither is there a contract of sale! He tells me they've nearly got the listing... and he'll ring me back when he does :eek: When I asked him how he listed it without going inside, he said he'd get back to me... he sounded confused himself!!

After rushing us through a new house in record time (despite making an appt several days prior) this agent had the audacity to complain when I called to enquire on details that I missed on the first inspection (such as no. of gas heating outlets and if there were auto doors on the DLUG) "For God's sake, I haven't got time for all these details", he said, "you saw the house (all of 5mins) that's your job!" When I reminded him of the amount of milliseconds actually spent at the house, his reaction was to "Get a building inspector to check out the details!" :rolleyes:

And a beauty from a real estate office that shall remain nameless (and likely to go out of business soon if they continue this practice).....
    I rang to speak to a sales agent, but as is common with the way agencies work, there was no one in the office ;) so my details were taken. Ho hum. Hear it all the time, so I play the game and then await the sales agent's call shortly thereafter. However, this receptionist told me that their policy wasn't to make callbacks :eek: so could I please call the office back at 4pm, as the sales agent would be in by then?!!!!! When I asked for his mobile, she said he didn't have it on most of the time and the best thing to do would be to ring back at 4pm. Unbelievable :eek: When I expressed disbelief in this office protocol she seemed genuinely stunned. Oh dear.

Ah, now I feel better. Just like cars and houses, there are some real lemons out there when it comes to various people in their various professions.

2. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

why would they remain nameless? I would say sharing a experiance and then making the recommdation for others not to deal with them would save others problems should they select this mob!

3. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Jacque,

I imagine this favourite real estate agents of yours would go out of business very quickly which such wonderful service for their customers.

Though talking about clients vs customers, you can tell straight away when businesses see you as customers, they just want to churn'em through. When it's clients they have an ongoing relationship with you and like to see you.

I'm guessing your going back to that real estate agents soon?

Sounds like it's not going to be fun dealing with them.

Cheers,

Dan

PS Good luck...

4. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hi Dan

Yes I do have to go back and go back again to several agents, but then again when the market's hot (as it is in parts) they see no need to return calls, especially when there's more demand than supply. They soon get sick of my persistence but it has paid off on many an occasion.... Actually, just recently I had my mobile call "rejected" by an agent who I was negotiating with (guess he got sick of hearing from me) several times and then, when I tried using my clients mobile instead, he answered! To say he was surprised it was me was an understatement ;) but I got the house for the price I wanted :)

However, regarding the "no callbacks" agency, to complete the story, I (politely) expressed my disbelief, told the receptionist I was gobsmacked at such policy, that I had never experienced such lack of service before, and wondered aloud just how they sell any properties.... and guess what? She put me through to a sales agent (who had just walked in the door, apparently :D) Lucky me ;)

Life is full of strange coincidences, isn't it?!

5. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Hi Jacque.

I don't know if it's a Virgo thing or not :eek: but I always:

a) Provide a high level of service in my occupation

b) Always expect a high level of service from others

and

c) Am totally shocked when I receive even a reasonably good level of service from others. :eek: It happens, but it's unusual. :(

I'm not sure what it is but so many people seem to think it's almost 'below them' to actually provide an 'above basic' level of service. Is it an ego thing? I don't know.

Having just progressively handed out the management of some properties to a property manager, so far, I must admit I've been pleasantly surprised what a good service the new PM has provided in a couple of difficult situations. She's actually doing a good job and I've told her so! :)

I know it's what you should expect, but isn't it actually nice when a PM does their job well. :rolleyes:

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.