Join our investing community

Bad or good time to start in MF?

Discussion in 'Managed Funds & Index Funds' started by piN00b, 30th Nov, 2007.

1. piN00b

piN00b New Member

13th Apr, 2007
    Sydney, NSW

as my username suggests I'm n00b in investment world, only have PPOR at the moment :).

Looking at the current shares market and global economy in general, do you think its a good time to start investing?

I don't try to predict when market is down or anything, just in general there is quite a lot of talkking lately about recessions, credit crunch, shares market correction etc.

I want to invest for a long term, 5-10 years to generate passive income so maybe one day we ( me & wife ) can quite day jobs.

Anyway, what do you think? Is is worth waiting for said correction and keep saving money in bank account for a while or just buy now and hold?

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by a moderator: 30th Nov, 2007
  2. samaka

samaka Well-Known Member

30th Sep, 2007
    In my opinion - even if we get a correction next year - if your timeframe is 10 years it wouldn't be an issue. The key though is realising it's not about return on your lump sum - it's also the (hopefully) regular investments you make along the way.

These obviously accelerate the growth of your investment but also average out the periods of bad returns.