Balance Sheet - Current and non-current liabilities

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by tom_tom, 13th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tom_tom

tom_tom Member

I have been going through an insurance companies financial statements recently and am having some trouble differentiating the current and non-current liabilities. In this Balance Sheet the liabilities are listed in the order of liquidity.

The Balance Sheet (under liabilities) has an entry ‘Other Financial Liabilities’ showing a total of 710.

In the notes to the financial statements this is broken into two values

Derivative Financial Liabilities 130

Collateral Deposits held. .580

On morningstar, they have listed the ‘Derivative Financial Liabilities’ as a current liability.

They have also listed the ‘Collateral Deposits Held’ as a non-current liability. Even though both liabilities are listed under the

one entry on the balance sheet.

Would anyone know why ‘Collateral Deposits held’ would be classed as non-current? I’ve scoured the entire financial statements several time and cannot find an answer to this.

2 people like this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

Collateral (finance) - Wikipedia

the payment of the liability has no set payment date ( that is foreseeable )

whereas current liabilities have a payment date that is known ( or foreseeable )

2 people like this.
  3. tom_tom

tom_tom Member

that's a helpful way of looking at this, thank you.
    Can I ask where you read that? Text book or other?
    Thanks

2 people like this.
  4. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

from Wikipedia

Collateral (finance) - Wikipedia

which surprised me i thought Investopedia would have been the 'go to source ' without buying a textbook .

think of insurance as gambling
    modern insurance ( when done well ) is no longer betting red or clack ( win or lose ) but a multiple treble where you back every foreseeable outcome with varying amounts .. so whichever bet that wins still results in an overall profit ( of course there is still the unimaginable outcome , but chances are nobody will take a bet on that .. that is when cash reserves do their work ) .

due to their volatility , t normally 'channel trade insurance companies ( if i buy in at all )

Horizontal Channel

unlike this article i sell only HALF of the previous buy .. so i accumulate over time ( as well as DRP them )

QBE is my favourite in this style but SUN might yet be played like this ( or exited completely )

cheers

5. tom_tom

tom_tom Member

I think my original problem was that I could not understand why the 'Derivative liabilites' and 'Collateral deposits' were lumped together, when it seems clear now that one is current and one is not. The format of this balance sheet is that the assets and liabilities are listed in order of liquidity.

If that's the case, when why did they lump these together? Morningstar clearly didn't think they should have been lumped together!

2 people like this.