NSW Ballina is booming!

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by BSD, 16th Apr, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BSD

BSD Active Member

Ballina is becoming a major population centre on north coast (north of Taree) with population of 51,177 and reaching 120,000 by 2015. It will become a major office centre, retailing shopping central, entertainment centre, high tourism and busy centre of North Coast.

Our airport is currently expanding to four times bigger than today (around twice bigger than Coffs Harbour airport) and it could become an international airport.

There are alot of major urban developments such as Pacific Pines, Elevation, Lennox Western suburbs, East Ballina major urban development (going to connect Lennox Head's urban land), West Ballina major structure plan, Ballina Heights urban development and also Cumbalum major town plan. The Cumbalum major Town Plan is around same size to Lismore!:eek: The population will increase to 120,000 by 2015 when some stages are completed.

There is Ballina Bypass undertaken, major traffic lights development in Ballina area aswell. Ballina Shire council has it planning new arterial roads like Bermuda Street either Gold Coast Hwy will be linked between West Ballina and North Ballina.

Other few things to go, new larger HomeWorld Bulky Goods Centre starts construction very soon. It has a size around 29,000 square metres (twice bigger than Coffs Park Beach Homebase Centre), then later development HomeWorld may expand to 80,000 square metres in 2011. Possible major bulky goods retailers on this site are; Harvey Norman, Bunnings super centre, IKEA and Spotlight.

Theres plenty of development in Ballina CBD, highrises going up but only limit of 16metres in height. Currently two on construction at the moment and major Ballina Gateway buildings will start later this year.

Finally, back on traffic lights development, four new traffic light intersections has approved and start construction in few weeks. There are eight intersections unapproval or unfunded yet.

Cheers
    Mathew:D:cool:

Stoffo likes this.
  2. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

OK Matt so you like Ballina :D

What's driving all this optimism and growth forecast, in your opinion?

3. BSD

BSD Active Member

Sorry i don't get what you mean?:eek:

4. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Sorry- what I'm referring to is industry. What is causing all this sudden growth and expansion? Mining? Meatworks? New companies in town offering masses of employment in tourism?

I have little idea of the area and am just curious as to why it appears to becoming a much bigger centre.

5. Chris C

Chris C Well-Known Member

I'm sure Ballina, like much of SEQ and Northern NSW, has a bright future over the next decade or two with their warm weather and wonderful beaches.

I live in Brisbane, and whilst buying beach front property in major centres of SEQ is no longer realistic goal for a young investor. I imagine in the not too distant future I'll definitely consider purchasing beach front property either North or South of SEQ.

6. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Am I crazy for thinking that Ballina will be affected by rising sea levels over the next 30 years?

I spent a fortnight in Ballina a year ago, loved it. Rented a house and took the dogs into the river etc. But it astounded me how flat Ballina was, how low it was and how it wouldn't take much of a rise in sea levels to swamp the place.

I liked Suffolk Park too, but Lennox Head seemed pretty daggy...

7. BSD

BSD Active Member

I don't think the rising sea levels are true on science books. It's only an exaggeration. Don't worry about it, i don't :)

Ballina is a major tourism and shopping capital of north coast nsw. That is why its booming. Over 1500 dwellings has been built here last 7 months!

8. Smartypants

Smartypants Well-Known Member

I'd be worried about an investment that is relying on tourism.

The 1500 new dwellings sounds good, but who's to say that this trend will continue.

As Jacque pointed out, what will keep the expansion continuing?

9. BSD

BSD Active Member

Well we having more offices which means more developers. There have been few urban land restrictions in Ballina which cannot build urban land on national parks such as Ballina Natural Reserve.

The reason what Ballina keep booming are:
    Tourism
    More developers
    Marine
    Retailing capital
    Boating and surfing capital

Mostly its from interest of our areas, such that there is few reasons why people moving to Ballina. Like best climate, best surf and beaches in Australia and great entertainment aswell.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well well the shopping centres developers came up to build a large super regional shopping centre in Ballina CBD. Heres the mini article i got from the email section.
    Me thinks it would be similar to Parramatta Westfield!:eek:

This is a sister project to Gateway Ballina.

Cheers Mathew:eek:

10. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Think Tsunami...

11. Smartypants

Smartypants Well-Known Member

Hi BSD.

All great things, BUT.....what about workers. What is going to get the workers there. People need to live (fairly) close to employment. Where are the jobs there. It's these people that will build the backbone of future expansion, not the tourists.

Just my thoughts

12. BSD

BSD Active Member

Morning.

There are numerous mixed used centres developments in Ballina CBD for people are close to employment. There is plenty more urban development for other employers aswell. For example, Ballina Gateway (which starts construction this year) is a mixed use building. It have retail and commercial on ground floor and river front cafe, there is plenty residental flats there for living. Also maybe the owner may live there especially working for reception for international hotel.

Yesterday i received an email about West Ballina structure plan. Urban releases will come out in November. The plan/project may have over 1,500 blocks, another sub regional shopping centre, sets of traffic lights, tourism centre with marina development and more parks. This plan might be similar to Ballina Heights.

However, Ballina population projections may increase for 2015 due to West Ballina urban development.

Welcome to Gold Coast in 1970's!

Cheers Mathew:D

13. BSD

BSD Active Member

Gosh, the streets here lately been so busy since the last holidays. Now we having major peak hour traffic nowdays. Peaking around 3,100 vehcles per hour!

During Winter, major works on highway bypass, new arterial road, traffic light intersections, new road links and urban additionals.

Looking good at the rear end of this year!:D

14. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

It's great that your enthusiastic buddy, but ease up on the ramping! ;)

15. BSD

BSD Active Member

Ballina Gateway

[​IMG]

HomeWorld artist expressions.

[​IMG]

Newest urban subdivision starting construction in June and home releases open end of this year.

http://petraclennoxhead2.digdnn.com/portals/8/PDF/Concept Plan .pdf

Neighbourhood Centre:
    http://petraclennoxhead2.digdnn.com/portals/8/PDF/Neighbourhood Centre.pdf

Housing types, sports field and school site:
    http://petraclennoxhead2.digdnn.com/portals/8/PDF/Housing Types.pdf

Retirement village:
    http://petraclennoxhead2.digdnn.com/portals/8/PDF/The Retirement Community.pdf

Artist perceptives:
    http://petraclennoxhead2.digdnn.com/portals/8/PDF/Artist Perspectives of the Community.pdf

Traffic:
    http://petraclennoxhead2.digdnn.com/portals/8/PDF/Road Heirachy and Traffic.pdf

Looks like very high traffic volume predicted!

The site:
    [​IMG]

Pacific Pines retail core may expand to 4,500 square metres around 2011 due to population and tourism additions. However, Centro Properties has bought this land to have a supermarket and 15 retailers in first stage. Then in final stage to add 25 retailers, expand the supermarket and add a possible discount store like Kmart, Target or Big W.

Looking big place!

More info here: Petrac Lennox Head > Enquiry By Design

Ballina Heights
    [​IMG]

It will have 780 homes, school complex, retirement village, commercial zone and shopping centre. Possible additions are child care centre, medicial centre and police station.

Heres the latest population update with history and projections.

Ballina population history and projections
    1975-Ballina: 4,500 Shire: 13,530
    1980-Ballina: 7,800 Shire: 17,842
    1995-Ballina: 18,750 Shire: 34,513
    2001-Ballina: 21,150 Shire: 37,750
    2005-Ballina: 23,668 Shire: 44,941
    2008-Ballina: 27,503 Shire: 51,177
    2011-Ballina: 38,960 City: 78,000
    2021-Ballina: 88,500 City: 189,130

Finally took some photos of latest developments in Ballina.

Ballina community centre, by Thompson Adsett Architecture.
    [​IMG]

Ballina Gateway Site (construction starts soon), by Sundowner Developments
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ballina RSL Club expansion (coming soon in 2009)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cherry Street Commercial and multistorey car park building, by Logan
    [​IMG]

More photos coming soon when the development commences on other sites.

Sovereign Gardens, North Creek, Ballina NSW

Link to village plan: Retirement Village Plan

RiverBend, Ballina West, NSW
    Website: Riverbend Ballina NSW | Active Adult Living for the over 50's ... | "It’s a great place, we love it!"

http://www.riverbend.com.au/images/map.jpg

Homeplans: http://www.riverbend.com.au/pdf/homeplans.pdf

Elevation, Lennox Head, Ballina, NSW
    Location: Next to Henderson Farm and master planned Pacific Pines

[​IMG]

Masterplan: Elevation Lennox Head

Skenners Ridge Urban Expansion, Skennars Head, Ballina, NSW
    LInk: http://www.ballina.nsw.gov.au/content/uploads/Combamd 1Section 6 Appendices.pdf
    (Note: pdf file at 3mb)

EDIT: Also includes Anchorage Point, Ballina: Anchorage Point - Ballina, NSW, Australia

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Apr, 2008
  16. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Hey BSD,

If you had $500k, what and where would you buy exactly?
    What do the locals think of Ballina vs. Ballina East?

I've read about trouble at Lennox Head (youths trashing cars, lack of police etc), how much of that is true and is that true for Ballina also?

17. BSD

BSD Active Member

I would buy a house at waterfront of Richmind River :D

Theres no such difference between Ballina and East Ballina, only in geographical and terraformfal.

Yea at least Lennox Head will get expanded when their community centre complete it's construction (similar scenaro to Ballina community centre's construction now). However Lennox Head will get new fire and police station together.

Cheers:d

18. Chris C

Chris C Well-Known Member

Looking at your population growth estimates I can't help but think you are being EXTREMELY optimistic. Ballina seems to have had population growth of around 4%pa for the last 30 odd years, and then all of a sudden is expected to grow by 15%pa through 2008 to 2011... I HIGHLY doubt it. Let alone sustain population growth of 10%pa for the following 10 years.

I'd be very surprised if Ballina had population growth of more than 5%pa for the next 5 - 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator: 30th Apr, 2008
  19. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

It's not impossible for rapid expansion of some areas to occur like this - I don't know Ballina well enough to comment in this case, but given my understanding of the area I suspect there is a lot of scope in general for growth in the right circumstances - most likely driven by demands from external factors (eg sea-changers, tourism, industry relocations etc).

20. BSD

BSD Active Member

That what the aim of this topic. Thank you.

The population statistics are actually accurate because the percentage is divided between the dwelling and population increase per annual. It's actually at 1.9%Pa, but it is increasing to 4.5%Pa anyways which you are pointing at. I would surprise it will explode the population rate in next 5-10 years.

However, how you compare to Mackay's population increase for next few years? It looked like tooo overestimated to me:confused: