Bank being helpful.......surely not!

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Alan__, 8th Sep, 2005.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

I'm writing this slowly as I'm still trying to recover from the shock..........(*I have another sip of wine to steady the still shaken nerves....)

My bank rang me today and said "Hi....how are you going? (*Hmmm....what are you going to try and sell me I think :rolleyes: )

"We just wanted to check that you were happy with our service" (*Ok...ok....what DO you want to sell me I think? :confused: )

"Has anyone contacted you from the bank in recent months to see if there is any way we can improve our service to you? (*Nooooo.......now I'm REALLY getting suspicious! :eek: )

"We notice you have quite a few accounts with us........would you like us to see if we can reduce the interest you're paying on those loans? (* THAT'S it..... I fell off the chair!!!! :eek: :eek: This is akin to the Tax Department ringing and asking me whether I'd like them to reduce my tax!)

"Suuureeeee..........go right ahead" I say. (*Still visibly shaken that a bank would ring and.........well.......really that a bank would even ring!? )

"Thank you Sir........it may not be this afternoon, but I'll have someone contact you in the next couple of days"

** I'll let you know what they try and sell me!

:)

2. Medine

Medine Well-Known Member

Hi Alan,

I wonder why they are teasing you with the "we'll call you back about that"???

Looking forward to hearing what the outcome is.

Cheers, Medine

3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Hiya Alan

id wager a bet its Bestpac :)

Very aggressive at trying to retain customer share right now.

They sold my wife Term life over the phone, with no medical required.

A week later get a letter asking to attend the doctors for tests.

ta

rolf

4. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Now there's a man who knows his banks! :D

How are things up North Rolf?

Oh.......by the way.........I rang the bank about 6 months ago on another matter and complained about what I thought was some 'overly aggressive' fees they had charged me that month.

Without any argument they simply said "Oh......would you like us to reverse those charges and give you the money back?"

"Ummmm.........let me think about that............YES!"

And they did...........it was back in my account the next day!

Last edited by a moderator: 9th Sep, 2005
  5. Jenny__

Jenny__ Well-Known Member

So Alan, which bank is this?? Is it Bestpac as Rolf guesses? We have several loans with this particular Bank so am very interested to know.

Jenny

6. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Hi Jenny.

Yes.......it certainly sounded somthing like that..... :D

Still haven't heard back from them yet......

7. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Well the bank got back to me today and if you weren't expecting much.....they didn't disappoint. :rolleyes:

The world hasn't changed afterall.........rain still falls down.....trees still grow up and banks.......well.......

They started with:

"We believe there's a chance you may want to buy another property......perhaps we can help out with that......maybe you would like to talk with one of our lending consultants" ** THAT'S what they wanted to sell.

"But the previous person who rang said you may be able to reduce my existing loan rates?" I said.

"Oh.......well.......sure......we have a special on at the moment where we can take off 0.7%........how's that? :D "

"Umm.......is that the same 0.7% I get off with the Professional Package which I'm already paying for?" I ask.

"Oh I don't think you're getting that now!" they said.

"Oh yes I am!" I said.

"Let me just check.......oh you are.....:eek:.......hang on.....you only have $X in loans, you shouldn't get that......." they said.

"No........that's not correct.........I have a number of other loans with you" I say.

"Have you? :confused: .........oh........on one of those loans we might be able to reduce it by 0.05% as it doesn't look right........on the other hand.......looking at it again it might be right.....:confused: " they say.

"Perhaps you could have another look at my real situation and IF you have a real offer to reduce my loans you could contact me again? Good bye" I say.

Well at least the world hasn't gone totally topsy turvy........you can still depend on rain......trees........and banks........

8. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Interesting story.
    Just a few days ago, we were advised that our childrens accounts could be changed . They had the "bonus saver" type acccount - 3% interest each month as long as they put one deposit in each month.... and we were advised by the bank that they could actually have the "maxi" account (with 5.25% interest I believe) and not have to deposit anything per month.
    They set up the new accounts the same day, and deleted the old ones. Surprisingly good service!!!