Bank Safe Lock Boxes

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by DaveA__, 13th Nov, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DaveA__

DaveA__ Well-Known Member

Just wondering, Does anyone have one of these at all?

I know their a little bit old fashioned now but i think their purpose is still valid.

I tried googling it but could see any in sydney. But does anyone have a rough cost which one would set you back?

Cheers

2. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Hi Dave
    They should still be available but I wouldn't think that the local branch will have them.
    Did you come across some gold? :)
    Cheers

3. islandgirl__

islandgirl__ Well-Known Member

Dave
    Your wife will find it no matter where you hide it ;)

4. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Dave,

All banks will have them but I am guessing that they will not be available at all branches.
    If you go to the Westpac URL below, and select a search for Branch, tick safe deposit box, and then type in a postcode, it will show you the closest branches with safe deposit boxes.

The price will depend on the size you want so call up customer service and they will tell you the cost.
    Also check availability because in some branches there could be a waiting list.

Westpac Locate Us

If you just want to keep your passport an other important documents safe
    you can also get one small fireproof safe and have it built into the wall or floor cavity of your PPOR.

Cheers

5. DaveA__

thanks BV

ill probably be looking for one in the city (sydney) so ill give them a call...

Nah nothing special... just for documents as i have a tendancy of loosing the originals and with trust deeds etc im just thinking about my options...

6. bundy1964

bundy1964 Well-Known Member

They reomend that you don't put your will in one though as it may never surface if needed given the lock down rules.

7. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Dave

The cba charges about $50 pa for a safety deposit box about the size of a petty cash tin.

As has been mentioned the problem is finding a branch that not only has them but also has some space available.

Cheers

8. DaveA__

Thanks for your tips guys.

$60 establishment fee, 12 free access py, after that $12 per access

CBA price (at martin place) is as follows
    Size Height x Width X Length
    5x13x50 =100pa
    9x13x50 = 139pa
    14x13x50 = 139pa
    7x25x50 (A4 size) =139pa
    14x25x50 = 234pa
    23x27x50 = 285pa

they only have the top one, and there is a 6-12 month wait for a4 sizes

Westpac only had one size available and wouldnt quote me the rest

7x14x50= 225 per year unlimited access

9. Elkam

Elkam Member

Hello Dave

A safety deposit box is a good idea for some things (I have one) but things like trust deed documents, wills, titles for property etc. may best be kept with your solicitor who should have a safety deposit facility somewhere. This way if something happens all important documents are together and accessable. You're better off just keeping copies for yourself.

That's what I do and my solicitor does not charge extra for this.

Cheers
    Elka

10. Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe New Member

Is anyone familiar with what happens to safe deposit box access during a bank run or insolvency? I suspect branches might have restricted hours or not open at all until they're good and ready.....and I'd forget about ATMs.

I know Rudd 'guarantees' the first mill on savings accounts, but seriously, I wouldn't want to be holding my breath waiting to get paid if that guarantee was called. While rates are low, sticking some cash in a box might improve access a tad if the hits the fan.

11. Chris C

Chris C Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was wondering!

12. Simon L.

Simon L. New Member

Another Choice for Safe Deposit Box in Sydney

If you are living/working in Sydney CBD, another option for a safe deposit box provided by a bank is to have a look at Bank of China, I believe they have a branch in Chinatown (Haymarket) as well as another one on York Street.

One of my friends has a safe deposit box with Bank of China and he told me that they have those boxes in several different sizes for clients to choose from with fairly reasonable prices as well.

I am not sure whether Bank of China's other branches in NSW (Parramatta, Hurstville), VIC (Melbourne CBD) and WA (Perth CBD) also offer safe deposit box service to public.

Their website is at Bank of China Australia

Good luck!

13. TROM

TROM Active Member

That is interesting How come the media never talk about the Bank of China playing a part in the banking system.

Maybe they could the fifth big player in the future who knows. Anyone here borrowed money from there for purchasing IP's or PPOR?

14. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

15. 11bridgest

11bridgest New Member

The Vault

Hi Guys,

I work for a company called 11 Bridge St, The Vault. We are a new private company in the heart of Sydney CBD due to open in Feb 2009.

The Vault is a state-of-the-art construction with the highest grade security in Australasia with biometric scanning and fingerprint recognition - not to mention 24 hour security.

Due to strong demand we are offering competitive pre-opening lifetime leases that will offer a significant saving over the equivalent annual pricing structures.

If you would like to find out more about The Vault, please visit The Vault | 11 Bridge Street and mention my name (Andrew James) or you can call me on 0405 391 767 outside of office hours and I will be happy to discuss anything further with you. We have our showroom open during office hours.

This is an exciting project and is already generating strong interest.

Call me on the above number and I will be happy to talk anything over with you.

Thanks

Andy James

16. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Andy,

You might want to update your fax details on your website as the country code for +41 is Switzerland...

Cheers,

Dan

17. Carolk84

Carolk84 New Member

Details please!

Hi,

Would you possibly be able to send me the details of this bank, interested in getting one myself!

Thanks! :)