Be wary of SOLD prices on realestate.com

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Jacque, 23rd Feb, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tropic

tropic Well-Known Member

Good on you Jacque.
    It has to stop because it's simply a deception.
    And it's not fair for the others that are being honest.

2. ProDev

ProDev New Member

Hi Jacque,

Which state has this occurred in?

To me this practice is unconscionable and I would expect that they could be charged by the relevant fair trading ministry for the state in which they are operating. In Western Australia there is REBA, The Real Estate and Business Agents Supervisory Board. Government of Western Australia which police issues pertaining to agents not acting according to the law and regulations.

This agency deserves to be exposed to prevent others from using them in the future and to serve as a warning to other agencies doing the same deceiving practice.

I will have to look into prices posted on the website I manage.

Brad Samers
    www.prodev.com.au

3. Drats

Drats New Member

I have just gone through the aggravation of buying a place and found this site, the day after I had it tied up. Fortunatly I had made a good deal

ummmm, should I mention this is FREE data, well its a come on for agents etc, so they can get their site going to compete with other established ones.

Sold Property Reports - Search Now For Free - onthehouse.com.au

4. katz

katz New Member

For those with access to RPData - How does the OnTheHouse Website stack up. The data on it looks pretty good to me, but was wondering if it was as accurate and comprehensive as RPdata ?

5. mmerlin

mmerlin Member

RPData subscription costs?

Hi Jaque,

Are you able to share "roughly" what the costs are for an RPData subscription? I tried to find out from their website but they don't list subscription prices..

www.rpdata.com/news/brochures/online_property.html

By the way, love your work :)

6. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hi Merlin

The way RPData works is by the no. of LGA's (local govt areas) that you subscribe to. Minimum is 2 and this, together with the ON THE MARKET feature (read more about this on their site- it's invaluable for us buyers agents as it allows us to see marketing histories and recent sales as reported directly by REA's) costs approx $310 per month. You've also got your startup/training costs (approx $400-600 from memory) and minimum period you can subscribe for is 3mths, as you need to give 90 days notice to quit.

If you were to subscribe to more than 2 LGA's there are discounts as you use more, and you can actually subscribe Sydney metro or NSW wide for higher fees- anticipate around $600+ per mth depending on which package you choose.

Hope this helps- best bet is to ring them directly.

7. Jacque

Nowhere near as comprehensive or accurate, I'm afraid. RPData wins hands down, but then again you'd expect a subscription based offering to be superior when you're paying so much :D

8. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Jacque,

Do the numbers come from different sources? (I'm just wondering why there would be discrepancies.)

Cheers,

Dan

9. Jacque

Hi Dan

Prices on realestate.com are supplied directly by the agents (and read by the general public) whereas RPData collates its data from the Land Titles office. Agents can also input sold prices directly into RPData as well, but discrepancies are rare, as it's other agents who are reading these SOLD prices and so errors aren't common.

Interestingly enough, though I never heard back from the DFT about any action taken against this agency, they now advertise SOLD properties on realestate.com without any prices next to them.

10. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Jacque,

Do you know where the OnTheHouse website gets their figures from? (Hopefully not realestate.com as those figures sound rubbery)

Cheers,

Dan

11. Jacque