Join our investing community

Beer :)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jacque, 7th Dec, 2005.

1. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Geez, I was so flipping hot today I actually had a beer :eek:
    Am I feeling the heat or just getting old? I don't know..........!!

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Reached 36.7 degrees at my place according to my wireless temperature guages. It was 29.7 degrees in my study when I got home at 3pm ... I've had my portable aircon running ever since, and it's still 25.8 degrees in here ... only just dropped below that outside too!

3. Demoman

Demoman Member

Hi,

36 degrees inside our place until we turned on the air con.........got it down to 30 before bed time.

A little cooler today hopefully.

Jared

4. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

You ppl with air con are making me jealous. Now just stop it! ;)
    I actually also went for a swim yesterday as well- which is virtually unheard of in this household. Kids thought they were hallucinating when Mum turned up in her swimmers and joined them in the pool!

5. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member

Geez Jacque, I had to move to NQ so I didn't have to wait for a hot day to have a beer, now I can have one every day :p :D :D

6. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Now we have both Ducted Air AND the new pool, life is sweet :D ....oops sorry Jacque :) Had to sell most of my shares to do it though :eek:

7. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

And what was that about you being non-materialistic Dave?!! :D

8. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Very funny Jacque :) . Gotta tighten things a bit now as the pool ended up costing about 4k more than I thought it would :eek: - so no more being materialistic for a while now !!

9. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

We have been toying with the idea of putting in a pool. Seems like a pretty common outcome for the pool to come in higher than the quote. Was there something unforeseen?

Cheers,

10. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Yep.
    I banked on 16k, it ended up being 20k.
    What we got for this :
    6k for pool itself - 7.4 x 3.8 above ground with pump, filtration equipment, vacuum, auto cleaner as well (barracuda) - it is a freshwater pool so and extra $490 for that.
    To install - expected cost was 3k , but ended up being $4500 or so thanks to an extra amount of money needed to cart away the 60 odd tonnes (I made the pool semi inground , so just 20cm sticks above the ground at top end of the yard).
    We put a deck on - so another 7k or so (I was expecting about 4.5k) as we had extra digging costs , also extra material costs (timber about $2700, plus a lot of sand, cement etc).
    But the pool looks great, I will post pictures once the 2k fence gets put in, we have a temp fence there now (another $390 for one month for that).
    Still, that last distribution in Oct from the wholesale fund paid for nearly half of the cost , and other shares sold helped. We are PPOR debt free, so why not do it!! Our kids are 10,8 and 4 and they really love it :D - and I don't mind it either :)

Hmmm now where is that beer :D :D

11. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

I'll bring the beer- now when can we come around for a swim?! :)

12. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

There is ALWAYS something unforseen when it comes to home renovations! Our inground pool was put in 6 yrs ago now and cost us $30K all up, including fencing and landscaping. Naturally, I would expect that cost to rise given the introduction of GST since then, more expensive labour/trade costs etc but we haven't regretted it for a second.
    The best form of entertainment for our three children, and it has provided endless hours of fun for visitors, parties etc.
    Well worth it :)

13. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Pools

I think pools are one of those things that are meant to be difficult, like building a house.

We moved from a house with a pool and my wife made it very clear we would be having another pool at this place, and I was given the project to manage :) (the problem with working from home)

Could not get a recommendation ANYWHERE for a good pool builder (asked our previous pool cleaner guy and he said all of the locals cut corners these days and had shoddy follow up service). Obtained 3 quotes and chose a local bloke. $19K for 9 x 4.5 m with ledges and swimout etc. plus an "air step" style spa - then another $7K ish by the time we finished paving and fencing etc.

All was great for 12 months till the pool guy noticed we'd used 20 bags of salt, so suggested we must have a leak. It suddenly registered how many times we'd run the hose to top the pool up! Turns out it was leaking through the spa step, which is made by drilling through the concrete into the poly pipes below - this apparently often leads to leaks because of air pockets and the vibration caused by the spa itself (no one thought to mention that to us at the time!)

The cheapest way out was to drain the pool and fill the spa holes - all is perfect now with a near invisible mend, but of course no spa. The pool builder refunded most of the money we spent on the spa bit. But the follow up service was pretty bad - took months of letters and phone calls to get them to come and attend to it (as the pool cleaner had warned me, 'service' was pretty non existent!) To be fair though, the bulk of what they did, for the price, was pretty good :) !

My recommendation is to stick with the basics and avoid the 'air step' style spas - the leak tester bloke said most pool builders refuse to install them anyway ... but just a heads up in case anyone is planning one.

We are saving a lot of water now ! but the palms in the garden near the spa need a lot more watering than they used to :)

Probably hot enough for a swim right now - seeya !
    Carl

14. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member

15. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Wow Rick, thats quite a bit of money - but if you are PPOR debt free then thats fair enough :) . I think that some people with large mortgages get into the trap of overspending when they put in house extensions, pools etc - they owe so much already that another 40k seems like nothing :eek:
    We could never really think that way, too many years of being careful with money has made us that way.
    Jacque - some time in February , just gotta see which weekend is free :D Its our turn !!