Managed Funds Best discount broker for MF

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by mumeco, 17th May, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mumeco

mumeco Active Member

I have got some MF via CFS, and want to register with a discount broker. Which is the best? I know about YourShare and InvestSmart. Is there a difference? Are there better options out there? I guess it would be grand if they could also get me the trailing fees from my home loan and income protection, but I don't know if anyone can do that.

2. mumeco

mumeco Active Member

Fund Brokers

Well, I have done some research on the Fund Brokers and have come up with the following:
    YourShare
    - rebates entry fees
    - rebates 50 - 70% trailing commissions on managed funds, super, insurance products
    - free to join
    - independently owned -what happens if it goes under?

InvestSmart
    - rebates entry fees
    - rebates any trailing commissions over $396, or 50% if TCs are less than 396 (for new clients only)
    - doesn't seem to include super or insurance products although I could be wrong about this
    - free to join
    - part of fairfax media group

Trail commissions assumed at 0.5% per year.

3. APerry

APerry Active Member

Sorry for rehashing an old topic. I'm about to re-enter the sharemarket after a hiatus of about 3.5 years and am planning on doing so, at least initially, through managed funds. I've done quite a bit of research on the discount fund brokers, and i think the best three are, in no particular order:

YourShare - Home
    www.rebatefinance.com.au
    Trailing Commissions - Refunds & Rebates :: Discount Fund Broker Irefund

It seems the largest players are Investsmart and 20/20 DirectInvest, but their rebates are not nearly as attractive. I can't see any advantage in going with a larger player in this area, given that if one of them goes under you can sign a one page form with a competitor and swich your funds over to them.