Margin Loans Best Pre-paid Margin Loan Interest rate?

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by Rod_WA, 23rd Apr, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rod_WA

Rod_WA Well-Known Member

MQ Prime have released a pre-paid interest rate for 12 months from 30 June 2008 at 9.15%.

Just thought I'd open a thread to compare rates before the end of financial year.

2. Seamus

Seamus Member

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

We haven't necessarily seen the heavy discounting start yet - often comes during late May.

4. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I got my letter from Suncorp, it was only about .5% off standard. Nothing special this year, as expected.

5. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I had a letter from Suncorp; lock in before 14 MAY and get 0.70% off the 12 Month rate
    $20k-$500k 10.15% (Discount 9.45%)
    $500k -$1M 9.95% (Discount 9.35%)

6. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

yep, that was it.

7. GeoQuack

GeoQuack New Member

MQ Prime list 9.45% on their website now. Have their rates gone up or do you know something that I don't?

Peter

8. eddyl

eddyl Active Member

When does the heavy discounting usually begin? Am I correct in saying you have to sign up before june 30 often to get the discount?

9. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

Macquarie have a reputation to jacking up costs on a whim. Then they have a reputation to send out money demands 12 months after you finish doing business with them.

Dont deal with this mob..

10. Chris C

Chris C Well-Known Member

Can I ask, if you are pre-paying the interest on the loan and investing in good investments, do you need to be able to prove you have the income to service the load as well?

Or is it more of a situation where, if you have $10,000 and are willing to prepay the interest they will give you $40,000.

11. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Margin lenders typically have pre-defined borrowing limits, and so long as your loan is less than the limit - they will happy lend you as much as you like, up to the maximum LVR for your portfolio.

These limits vary by lender, but you typically won't have trouble until you get well over the $1m mark. At one stage I had a $2m margin loan with no proof of income asked for.

Some lenders ask you to specify a borrowing limit during the application process - but this is usually arbitrary and can be increased by a simple written request.

12. Chris C

Chris C Well-Known Member

I have started to do some mor research on Margin lenders of late adn their interest rates, adn too date MQ prime still looks significantly cheaper than most other lenders at 8.95% 8.95%.

The next best I have found has been ComSec and BT at 9.75% is there a reason why MQ Prime is so much lower?