Best structure - Hybrid or own names for a new IP / possible future PPOR

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by perky, 9th Nov, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    I have a scenario I want to throw out there.

We have found a great block of land at a new development that is (hopefully) going to have good capital growth over the next several years.

The plan - to live there in 4 to 6 years.

The question - should we do it under the Hybrid trust or do it under normal two names?

The deal -
    Block at 359k.
    It's one of the two car park blocks next to the display homes - 650sqm and probable glimpses of the new golf course over and next to the first display home on the corner.
    As such - it will be leased back at 8% rent from the developer for min 2 years plus an extra 4 x 6 month leases (so likely 3 years lease) - when you know that currently Westpac is 7.01% then that is a positive cashflow prospect (not to mention further int rates cuts coming).

If you knew if would be probably 4 years until a house was built , but its an 80% chance you would live there (may be tenanted for 1 or 2 years at most) , would you do it under the Hybrid trust or own names?

Pros under Hybrid Trust -
    Protection.
    If sold at capital gain (if we decide not to live there after all) , then less cap gains tax.

Cons - Land tax!!
    Living in own house under Hybrid trust may not be "arms length" ?

2. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

What's so special about a HDT if your investment is cashflow positive - are you unrelated joint investors ?

Why is there less capital gains tax using a HDT - usually there is the same or more, but maybe avoids stamp duty on any transfer to discretionary form ?

Your post is a bit confusing, maybe you could explain a bit more.

Cheers,

Rob

3. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Hi Rob,
    I spoke with Nick, seeing as though this will likely be our PPOR in around 5 years we have decided to make it 99/1 in my name/wifes name.
    Now to make sure the contract is sound....thats with my lawyer.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.