Join our investing community

Best way to find tenants when not using an agent

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Chris C, 7th Apr, 2008.

1. Chris C

Chris C Well-Known Member

I don't mean to hijack this thread or anythign, but can I ask, what are the best ways to go about finding tenants if you aren't using an agent?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

I thought it was an interesting enough question - so I moved it to its own thread.

It depends on the local area - most agents will just place advertisements for tenants anyway - often in a local newspaper or more increasingly these days, online with realestate.com.au or domain.com.au

In Adelaide for example, the Saturday Advertiser newspaper (and Wednesday as well if in a hurry) was where you went to advertise rentals. More adverts are now going online though.

3. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

www.domain.com.au for private rental listings would be my first choice closely followed by Sat paper (in your case, the Courier Times) with a brief 2-3line ad. The Brissy market is pretty hot at the moment with rising rents as well, so I wouldn't imagine you'd have too much of a problem.

Make sure you also obtain a leasing pack (from local PO or newsagency) collect and register the bond and do it properly. I also find taking photos as part of the initial condition report a good idea for your files.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Interestingly, not long after this thread was started, I found out about a relatively new website called rent.com.au - which offers both agents and individual property owners a place to advertise rental properties online.

We have been able to negotiate a 25% discount on listing fees with them for InvestEd members - this page has more information on how to take advantage of this offering:

5. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Wow! What a great deal, Sim :)

I like it- and daresay it will take off, given enough publicity. Domain is much more expensive and if tenants have a dedicated site to look at rather than the big 2 I think it would be a great alternative.

I'll be suggesting my PM's advertise my IP's on there when they come up for renewal.

6. lura

lura Active Member

when not using an agent

Hi Chris C,
    If your property is located in Brisbane - you shouldn't have any problem just placing an ad in the local paper - Quest - for your area. It'll only cost about $25 for two distribution areas surround your IP for a short ad. The market is so tight at the moment, you shouldn't have any problems. We did this a few weeks ago for my cousins property and got several viewings with acceptance of an applicant ready to move in the following weekend.

There are a lot of desperate tenants out there at the moment, so do your applicant checks thoroughly - even drive by their current property to make sure.

Your property is probably already rented by now - good luck anyway.