Managed Funds Bets value/performance fund

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by ef_paddy, 5th Aug, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ef_paddy

ef_paddy New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm after some help. I'm 21 and have saved a few grand. I'm wondering if you guys could recommend a fund that would be good to go with?

I have researched it for a little while now but haven't really gotten very far so figured i'd ask people who are knowledgeable in the area.

Look forward to your responses.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

What is your goal for this money? What is your timeframe for the investment?

3. ef_paddy

ef_paddy New Member

Hi Sim,

Thanks for the reply. I'm basically just trying to get a decent return from it. Ideally i want to keep the money invested long term, I'm going to be putting $200 a fortnight towards where ever i put my money, however in the next 3 years it may have to be used as part of a home deposit but hopefully not.

Cheers,

Pat

4. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

Hi ef_paddy

Good on you for starting your quest at age 21! All I did at that age was spend money.

You have a few grand. You can get a term deposit or a retail managed fund.

You have to decide what time frame you wish to invest. It would be foolish to invest in a product that requires time, then withdraw for a deposit.

Read Compleks:cool: 2007 threads. Brilliant!

go to the managed funds forum

chose a financial product that allows regular deposits.

MANAGED FUNDS ALLOCATIONS

Large Cap Aussie
    Growth
    Value

Mid Cap Aussie
    Growth
    Value

Small Cap Aussie
    Growth
    Value

Large/mid/small foreign(Growth,value)

property trusts

Licensed invesment companies

Resources

Financials

Consumer discretionary

Technology

Medical

Emerging markets

Exchange traded funds

index funds

fixed interest

cash

bonds

gobal funds

Is that enough?

If you want short term you wouldn't pick index funds, and if you want long term you wouldn't pick cash....So do some reasearch, and narrow down what are your goals and we can go from there.

Cheers Johny

5. APerry

APerry Active Member

You'd probably want to explain this statement considering that for the last 10 years you would have been better off in cash and the recent months far better off in index funds.

6. Johny_come_lately

Risk & Return

Credit risk: a company might fail. ei ABC

Low diversification risk: loss of value from credit risk

Market risk: volatility in the market. ei prices can go down and up

Mismatch risk: choosing a product that has the wrong timeframe for your personal goals.

Different asset classes have different market risks. Traditionally over a long time frame(100 years), cash provide a low return and low risk while geared, emerging, foreign, small cap, growth funds provide high returns and high risk.

And once a century we get bowled a wobbly, with cash not LOSING as much as shares. You take your risk and you get your return.

Johny.

7. APerry

APerry Active Member

The statements that are frequently made by financial advisors regarding expected growth and risk levels have been shown to be a fallacy, or irrelevant at best. People don't invest for 10 years and it is quite clear that shares (the indicies) have been a very poor inverstment over the past 10 years, they might be great for the next few years or they might not. Growth over 100 years is particularly irrelevant as there have been some fairlly large changes in the world over this time.

What should people do then? I don't know, but I do know that the statistics that are used to indicate indicative growth and risk are BS.

8. Johny_come_lately

Are there any stats. guys out there that would validate this assumption?

Johny.

9. APerry

APerry Active Member

In Jan 1990 the all ords was at 2847.2 this morning it is at 4345, that is a 53% gain in a period of over 10 years. Very, very ordinary. Worse still, if you invested in an All Ords tracking fund in Aug 2005 you would have lost money.

In contrast, if you invested in March this year you would be up over 30%.

The point is not that shares arte a good or bad investment, it is that you can't trust statistics, especially if you don't have a good understanding of their background. Even if you do, it is quite clear that past performance is not always a good indicator of future performance. This is frequentlty stated by investment professionals, who then happily go and sprout off that shares grow faster than cash. It is all crap, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

For most people 10 years would be considered a long term investment period. The fact is that over the last 10 the index has been a poor investment, but it has been good recently.

The point is people should make their own informed decisions, not be sheep and blindly follow garbage statistics.