Join our investing community

Bitcoin

Discussion in 'Alternative Investments' started by Tropo, 8th Apr, 2013.

1. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

2. Big Max

Big Max New Member

3. C-mac

C-mac New Member

@Big Max I don't think all cryptocurrencies should be written off just yet as tulip mania.

I'm only in my beginning stages of research but I don't think it is a ponzi scheme (at least not Bitcoin and Ether specifically - most of the other 300 or so currencies that are popping up now, probably are!). In many ways, since fiat currencies like AUD and USD were detached from the gold standard decades ago (I believe when Aus switched from Pounds to AUD in what, the 60's I think, that's when the new AUD got stripped away from gold backing?); some would argue that fiat currency which has been printed into oblivion and becoming more and more worthless as a result (no sense of scarcity and inflation shooting up in some countries...); is just as bad as cryptos.

I kinda see cryptos as a kind of asset protection hedge (like gold or silver).

Big Max likes this.
  4. Big Max

Big Max New Member

Agree.

5. C-mac

C-mac New Member

Whisper quiet on this thread despite the last week of crypto craziness due to China (or... 'rumors'/FUD of China...).

Anyway, either the Investchat community is still growing and not as big as propertychat, or if it IS big - should i take the crickets and tumbleweeds on this thread as a sign that Aussies aren't heavily playing in crypto yet?

6. Will5308

Will5308 Member

@C-mac
    Could be that there aren't a lot of crypto investors frequenting this page. There are a few great crypto pages on Facebook, which get huge amounts of traffic. Log into Facebook | Facebook is a good Australian example. There are quite a number of others which are not necessarily Aussie.
    While investing in cryptos hasn't hit the mainstream yet, investor numbers are growing for sure.