Book recommendations?

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Mark88, 10th Feb, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mark88

Mark88 Active Member

Hey,
    I am a TOTAL newbie to investing. I am currently saving to buy my first IP in 2-3 years time. I was wondering if anyone could give me some book recommendations to learn about property investment?
    Books would need to be aimed at a beginner stage ..possibly some intermediate books too that I can read later on.
    I thought it would be wise to educate myself over the next few years before jumping into the market - I want to educate myself on things like leverage, margin lending, money management etc etc ..just something to get me started and prepared!!
    Thank you in advance
    Mark

2. GregReid

GregReid Well-Known Member

Mark,
    I personally like the Jan Somers series as a start to your property investing.
    Stuart Wemyss is another from more a finance perspective. There is a book, Secrets of Property Millionaires Exposed that is a mix of ideas from successful PI's.
    Margaret Lomax, Chan and Melvin, then there are authors like Steve McKnight etc.
    It is finding those that make common sense and do not try to go from 1 to 130 property in 2 years.
    Greg

3. Mark88

Mark88 Active Member

Thank you for your recommendations Greg. I will definately look into and purchase some of those books to get myself started.
    What do you think of Michael Yardney's books - such as, How to Grow a Multi-million Dollar Property Portfolio in Your Spare Time ..I found some of his books through the the propertyupdate website and he seems pretty good!

4. GregReid

GregReid Well-Known Member

Michael Yardney is an interesting speaker and I have attended some of his seminars and read his books. He is another author with a view and worth reading. I would not start on his but certainly include a little later
    Greg

5. propertybuyingguide

propertybuyingguide Member

I'd recommend Michael Yardney's "How to Grow a Multi-Million Dollar Property Portfolio" - it's a great read. Agree with GregR that it might not be the best starting point, but would recommend you read a few, so definitely include this one in the mix!!

Good luck with it.

Regards
    PropertyBuyingGuide

6. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

Some books not about property that I value.

Screw it, lets do it. R. Branson :)
    Motivational/ethics.

Imagining India. Nandan Nilekani
    IT guy gives a history of the country. India is the future. :cool:

All About Asset Allocation. R. Ferri :D
    basic asset classes, easy read.

The Intelligent Asset Allocator. W Bernstein ;)
    Portfolio building, more technical.

Cheers, Johny.

7. Waimate01

Waimate01 Well-Known Member

"How Much is Enough?"
    By Andrew Ford, Arun Abey

(Not to be confused with an american book of the same name)

8. stevo_c

stevo_c New Member

Hi Mark, ima noobie to investing as well, i have read steve mcnights 0-130 and recently Micheal Yardneys's - How to grow a multi... and got alot more out of the Micheal's book, i found it to be a comprehensive long term approach strategy aimed at beginners thru to more experienced with his very clear no-nonsense easy to understand advice and explanations. Very good at communicating his point across. I am not in a position to do the leg work for my first investment property so i am looking at using a buyers agent which Micheal's company (metropole) is. So will sus out his competition to insure he is the best like he infers he is and then decide on who to use. Im attending a seminar next week in perth run by John Fitzgerald (another ozzy succes story, who runs a buyers advocate company Custodian Wealth Builders) and he gives away his best selling book 'Seven Steps to Wealth' Will read and report back in a few weeks.

9. Mark88

Mark88 Active Member

Thank you for everyones recommendations so far ..I will certainly try to get myself through as many books as possible before attempting to purchase a property!!

Steve - all the best with purchasing your first investment property. A buying agent certainly sounds like a good idea but I can not comment as I do not know much about them. I would certainly be interested to hear from anyone who has dealt with a buyers agent. Looking forward to hear about your review of John Fitzgeralds's book. Would also love to hear your review of the seminar after you attend (the same seminar is actually at Sydney on the 2nd of March and I am thinking of going).

10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The Black Swan ,by Nassim Nicholas Taleb..

11. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Hmmmm...:rolleyes:
    Nassim Nicholas Taleb (Arabic: نسيم نيقولا نجيب طالب‎, born 1960, alternatively Nessim or Nissim) has three distinct careers[1][2] (literary, scientific, and business) built around what he calls "epistemic limitations and constraints" (probability,
    uncertainty and the fragility of human knowledge)
    Nassim Nicholas Taleb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://www.fooledbyrandomness.com/imbeciles.htm

12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Tropo,just another book to read,that one i had to read 3 times but for a animal day trader:) like myself it has helped me for the last "GFC"period and the next one all investors will have to deal with,just like exposing an idea in it's pure raw form,that way it allows it to be judged by the public and time..happy investing.."The Black Swan"