Books :)

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Jacque, 28th Sep, 2005.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"The Real Meaning Of Money" - by Dorothy Rowe.
    Author examines private and public interpretation of money, how the world of money works, it's value and why money matters are secret. Very informative book.
    :cool:

2. Bob__

Bob__ Well-Known Member

"Wealth without Risk"
    "Financial Defense"
    "More Wealth without Risk"

Charles J Givens

Buying Property on a budget

Alan Falkner

The Jan Somers Series

Ordinary Millionaires

Jim McKnight

Bob

3. Takestock

Takestock Well-Known Member

I was recently asked in a PM what a few of my favourite value investing books were. I thought I would place it in the forum for the edification of any other interested parties.

I can definitely recommend The Intelligent Investor website and newsletter - excellent value investing advice. http://www.intelligentinvestor.com.au/ (Costs about $495 per year)

Books:

The Winning Investment Habits of Warren Buffett and George Soros by Mark Tier.

The Intelligent Australian Investor by Chris Leithner

The Warren Buffet Way by Robert G. Hagstrom

Warren Buffett Wealth by Robert Miles.

There are a heap more, however I really enjoyed these books.

Cheers

4. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I've just learnt a new word:

Edification:
    * Improve spiritually or morally by instruction or example.
    * uplifting enlightenment

5. aef

aef New Member

Channel 9

And here I was thinking Ed-ification is what is happening at channel 9 now Eddie 'everywhere' Mcguire is the new CEO of channel 9 :D

6. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hehehe :)
    I'm sure Eddie would appreciate the comparison!!

7. jscott

jscott Well-Known Member

Couple more for those that invest in managed funds (or any sort of share investing for that matter):

-- Common Sense on Mutual Funds by Jack Bogle (founder of Vanguard)
    -- The Intelligent Asset Allocator by William Berstein
    -- A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkeil

These 3 are well respected classsics and a good read as well. They will certainly make you think twice about the funds your investing in or thinking of investing in.

And for those that are more hard-core:

-- The Intelligent Investor by Ben Graham (who taught warren buffet - bit of a dry read though but clasic stuff)
    -- Contrarian Investment Stratgegies by David Dreman (if you don't like the efficient market ideas)

Jason.

8. Takestock

Takestock Well-Known Member

Jason,

I am interested in one of the books you mentioned - Contrarian Investment Stratgegies. What does it cover ie shares, properties, businesses? Was it an easy read or more involved (as your hard-core description would indicate)?

9. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Surprised they haven't been mentioned yet, but all of the books Donald Trump has written (well, ghost written anyway). Art of The Deal, etc. Gotta be careful though, I've noticed a lot of books in the marketplace using his name/face to sell a book that he hasn't had anything to do with - other than selling his 'brand' to.

Also the one written by George Ross. I d/led it from the net with the intention of reading the first few chapters and if I liked it enough, then I would buy it. Well I bought it. This book is up there with Jan Somers' books and Art of The Deal (these being in my opinion the best real estate books written) for me - it's that good. An essential addition to any collection. Thanks to Dale GG for recommending this one, it's evident in the book why he's such a highly respected member of Trump's team.

Mark

10. jscott

jscott Well-Known Member

TakeStock,
    "Contrarian Investment Strategies" is a good book but pretty long and dry in places... By hard-core I guess I meant more that they're for stock-pickers more than the difficulty of the book itself. However the contrarian strategies that Dremen talks about equally apply to managed funds.
    Best way to get it is from Amazon - its seems to take twice as long if you order these sort of books through a shop.