Join our investing community

Borderline plumbing costs

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by JudgeDreadz, 23rd Dec, 2009.

1. JudgeDreadz

JudgeDreadz Well-Known Member

Greetings all

I need to fix the control tap / main water supply tap in my newly acquired apartment.

I called the strata manager yesterday morning and he told me that such things are the owners responsibility.

I called the plumber and they told me it was the strata's responsibility.

Could someone direct me to the documentation that would spell out these responsibilities? I was quite prepared to pay for the repairs, however, if the strata can cover it, bring it on.

2. handyandy

handyandy Well-Known Member

A confusing aspect to unit ownership.

I would always have considered the control tap as a strata responsibility as it controls the flow from the common water supply to the individuals water supply. Also to fix this control tap the plumber needs to turn off the water to the whole building.

Alas it does fall to the individual responsibility as the strata has deemed it to be the units personal tap and as such a personal responsibility.

Like you I then wanted to find out where this is documented but could not find any references.

I think its one of those things that is discussed at the professional development courses that strata manager have to attend (along with 'how to avoid all responsibility)

The plumbers are still working on the old idea that the control tap is strata and hence are reluctant to get involved.

Just to show how ridiculous the situation is a private plumber recently went to fix a control tap in a strata I am involved in. The plumber stuffed up the job and managed to break the fitting and create a fracture in the main pipe. The owner then tried to pass the enlarged bill back to the strata as it entailed fixing the main feed.

I am all in favour of limiting what the strata pays for as they are the most inefficient structure to carry out any repairs/improvements. No care / no responsibility.

Cheers

3. JudgeDreadz

Thanks Andy

So basically its my responsibility if it is just the tap. However, if the plumber manages to fracture the main pipe, it then becomes the strata's responsibility?

4. handyandy

handyandy Well-Known Member

Sorry, I did say try - and didn't succeed.

Cheers

5. JudgeDreadz

my indignance was not aimed at you Andy, only at the gray area. no need to apologise

:D

6. JudgeDreadz

UPDATE: so the plumbers came in and made the repair without a hitch.

they insisted that the invoice be sent to the strata manager. of course, i did not protest.

lets see how this pans out.