BQT - Why didn't it boom?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Sk3tChY, 9th Aug, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sk3tChY

Sk3tChY Well-Known Member

Ok ladies and gents,

I bought in on BQT not long ago, thinking that after the $200mil satelite announcement that it would sky rocket.

Amazingly after that announcement, along with the China State Shipbuilding announcement, they still didn't skyrocket.

My mate said it might be because the market may think the company has bitten off more than it can chew, but other than that I can't really see why it hasn't gone up.

Anyone have any ideas why they didnt go up?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I don't know the company so can't comment.

But my first question would always be - are they actually making any money yet ?

3. Sk3tChY

No, but by the looks of the financials they're revenue is currently at 2mil pa. This $200mil satelite deal should dramatically increase that, quite easily double/triple their revene.

I figured the hype alone would have caused the market to buy, but a serious invester should clearly be able to see that their revenue should be dramatically increased by this new project.

4. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

There is a lot of hype in the market.
    Never guess what market may/will/should do.
    BQT (nice dog) last 3 years trading range is $0.347 = JOKE !! :D :p :D
    Currently traded at $0.205.
    It may be a good stock for a daytraders but NOT for serious active investors.
    ;)

Attached Files:

5. Sk3tChY

In more noob terms plz? :p

6. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Well...in more noob terms....Market is not inter in BQT for some reason ...:rolleyes:
    That's why BQT is barking between 41c&6c last 3 y. :p
    Fundam&noth to do with the curr/pre $... Rev 2 mil pa = sq joke.:D

7. Sk3tChY

Ok... noob terms AND english plz..? :p

8. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Wha wro&my eng??
    Noob eno? :confused: :confused:
    PS - Do you speak English? :eek:

9. Sk3tChY

Of course but;

"41c&6c last 3 y. Fundam&noth to do with the curr/pre $... Rev 2 mil pa = sq joke"

That dosen't make any sense to me. :p

10. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

Market sentiment thinks the company isnt worth investing in. From its performance most people probably wouldnt consider it a good buy and hold type stock, whereas people who are watching the stock live might (might!) be able to make some money off it by trading multiple times per day if there is enough volatility.

For the foundations of your portfolio, look for currently undervalued blue chip stocks. I would be looking at the fundamentals of the well known blue chips, (eg companies that people are talking about all the time like BHP, the big banks etcs) For comparing fundamentals check the ASX website for the method and the data. Once you have selected sound stocks its time to work out when to buy them. For that you would try some technical analysis of your preferred stocks, and try to pick a dip in the graph to buy in.

I hope that expands nicely on Tropo's assesment.

11. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"I hope that expands nicely on Tropo's assesment."

Well done :D :D

PS - Even very 'popular' stocks are not always in favour.
    Before buying any stock I would check what chart is telling me (monthly,weekly,daily).
    Buying on hype...is not a sound decision.;)
    BQT is in down trend last 3 years so what is a point of buying it???:eek:

12. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Hi Sketchy,

I suggest you read the above sentence over and over until it is permanently burned onto your brain. Then decide whether you'd prefer to buy & hold (some call it value investing), trading (some call it gambling - not me, though and not meant to incite a heated discussion) or the view to buying % of a business for long term hold (Buffett strategy).

If you want to use the Buffett strategy (my personal choice), my recommendations are:

- The Warren Buffett Way
    - Buffettology
    - The New Buffettology
    - Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits
    - The Intelligent Investor (note: although I am a big fan of Buffett, I haven't read this yet, but WB says it's the best book on investing ever written, so I think that says a lot)

Trading and value investing don't interest me, so I don't know any good books to read. Tropo will likely have some good suggestions for you re: trading books.

Mark

13. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"Tropo will likely have some good suggestions for you re: trading books."

Mark,

No doubt that a few good books would increase Sk3tChY knowledge about Stock Market.
    Just few suggestions:
    Pring,Martin J - 'Technical Analysis Explained'
    Sperandeo,Victor. - 'Trader Vic-Methods of a Wall Street Master'
    Dr.Alexander Elder - ' Trading For A Living'
    Tate,Christopher - 'The Art of Trading'
    Weinstein,Stan - 'Secrets for Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets'.
    :cool:

14. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

Whats the difference between buy and hold, based on fundamentals but timed on technical analysis AND buying long term (buffet)?

15. Sk3tChY

I've also been told that buy of previous performance is also not a sound decision.

Oh well, hopefully I will be able to break even soon and go back to investing my muh blue-chips.

thx guys :)

16. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Basically you are choosing stocks based on fundamentals and you add TA to manage your trade/investment.
    TA is telling you when to buy (entry), how big your position should be, where your stop/limit loss is, where is your exit and you add risk/money management to this equation.

According to WB you are buying XYZ and never sell it (I may be wrong on this !!!). :eek:

17. DaveJ__

DaveJ__ Well-Known Member

???

Would depend on when you bought into it...

Looks like everyone piled into the stock on 18/7/07. Look at the volume (Vertical line at bottom). Have a look at when you bought into it against the chart.... :confused:

However this is a daytraders dream... 100% increase from pt '1' to '2'. Then another from pt '2' to '3'...:eek: Thats HUGE!!

Before these points it has been in a downtrend Jan07.

I don't know anything about this stock but that is my 5sec look at the chart (eg a Technical Analysis view)...:rolleyes:

PS If you want to see what 'news releases' can do to a stock... Have a look at ASX: POS. Can you guess when the media released that the CEO of Fortescue Metals and Paker were shareholders??? It used to be called Niagrara before changing to Poseidon II. If you don't know the history behind 'Poseidon' then 'google it'

Something to Think about!

Attached Files:

• BQT.JPG
      BQT.JPG
      File size:
      58.4 KB
      Views:
  18. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"I've also been told that buy of previous performance is also not a sound decision."

Correct!:p (IMHO)
    Yep...you better stick to 'white elephants' (blue chips), instead of playing with penny stocks (BQT). ;)

19. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"However this is a daytraders dream... 100% increase from pt '1' to '2'. Then another from pt '2' to '3'... Thats HUGE!!"

Hahaha... Tell me about it....:D
    As I said, nice dog for an intraday guys but not for an investors.;)

20. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"PS If you want to see what 'news releases' can do to a stock... Have a look at ASX: POS. Can you guess when the media released that the CEO of Fortescue Metals and Paker were shareholders??? It used to be called Niagrara before changing to Poseidon II. If you don't know the history behind 'Poseidon' then 'google it'"

Hey DaveJ,

POS = nice move from $ 1.15 (05.Apr.07) to $ 3.59 (14.05.07).
    Currently at $ 0.96
    In case of POS you must know WHEN to sell. So again - this stock is not for investors.;)