broad based government rental assistance?

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Nigel Ward, 20th Feb, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Interesting! I wonder if anything will come of it. Seems like -ve gearing could be safe though...for the time being. :rolleyes:

PM may help struggling renters - National - smh.com.au

2. D&K

D&K Well-Known Member

Hi Nigel,

I get the Matusik Report and this quotes data that backs up my experience, for Brisbane at least. Rents haven't been keeping up with inflation for 4 - 5 years, so this last 6 months is a bit of catch-up; although barely matching increases in rates and body corporate fees over the that period. Hence, the costs to owners (and investors) has gone up more than renters - time for catch-up but having said that, I'm not sure the increases will continue for long.

Hence the government knows that the money will flow through to investors still trying to get rental yeilds up to cover the costs that the market hasn't kept pace with. Like FHOG which seemed to create a matching price rise for new houses (and a few smiles on builders faces that I noticed), any hand out will flow through. At least -ve grearing is safe for now.

Dave

3. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Neg gearing won't be abolished any time soon- remember what happened when they removed it in the 80's? Pure bedlam.

Last edited by a moderator: 2nd Mar, 2007