Business Coaches

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by FreedomLadder, 23rd Feb, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. FreedomLadder

FreedomLadder New Member

Hi

... on the subject of business coaches, I thought I'd share my experience just recently.

I spoke to a coach last week (initial consultation, so it was free) and he sounded very impressive on paper - he'd coached numerous professional athletes and business people and had previously held various senior positions in government and private enterprise. And yet one thing didn't sit well with me ... when I met him in person he was actually quite overweight, he was a smoker and had suffered a stroke 2 years earlier due to stress! I was really taken back to say the least -- now don't get me wrong, he was a really nice bloke and very down to earth -- but how could I take advice from someone with unhealthy habits they obviously can't kick and little respect for their own health??? Mmmm.

As the saying goes, I guess it's more about 'do what I say, not as I do'!!

Anyhow, best of luck with your business venture quoll - there's a lot of good advice in this post. Probably the best way to find a coach is by referral from someone else who has had success - networking functions are good for finding out this sort of info.

Have a great week!

Cheers
    Debbie

-----------------------
    Debbie-Jo Dutton

Your wealth matters!
    Stay as you are, or change your life forever ...
    AGEL - The NEXT Generation Business Opportunity

2. iiinvestor

iiinvestor Well-Known Member

FreedomLadder:

Another interesting topic. I had a similar conversation with a group of friends the other day; except we discussed hiring unhealthy people (smokers, etc) in professional roles. We were talking about self-induced lack of health, not the unfortunate variety. There's the argument that if you can't take care of yourself, then you can't be expected to take care of business. But then there's the argument that if you're really taking care of business, maybe you don't have time to take care of yourself. I’m sure the healthy people here have a strong inclination towards one of those. ;)

3. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

FreedomIni and iii

Good points. Nothing less motivational than watching someone fold under the weight of addiction :( I have little respect for chain smokers but that's probably because its one of the few vices I've managed to avoid ! I wouldn't be able to use a business coach who's a heavy smoker as the smell alone would make it impossible to concentrate :)

I was surprised to see someone as dynamic and future-focussed as Steve Navra puffing on the death sticks between sessions. Seems to be a complete contradiction in terms, but I am sure someone as smart as Steve has weighed up the risks versus the buzz it gives him and made a conscious decision to do it ...

To be realistic, if I was thinking of hiring someone, I'd avoid taking on anyone who drinks as much (bad) red wine as I do ... and I only chose red because I can roll off the list of benefits people quote about having a 'couple of glasses' - I just concentrate on the benefits and avoid talking about volume !

Cheers (so to speak) :)

4. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Strange... personally, I don't see what someone's personal habits (good or bad) or choice of food has to do with their ability to coach you in your business enterprise. If it was for health training, that's a different story, but in business the person's achievements in that area would be of far more concern for me than their weight or whether they smoke (but then I'm a social smoker myself, so...).

We all have habits that other people disapprove of, but that doesn't diminish our abilities in certain areas in life.

Mark

5. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Same here ! :p

6. Takestock

Takestock Well-Known Member

I can see Debbie's point, however, I agree with Mark that an individual's personal habits may have little to do with their ability as a business coach (unless their habits drive you crazy and distract you from learning).

I would have been very happy to receive one on one business coaching from Kerry Packer, however, he wouldn't have been at the top of my list for a life coach or personal fitness instructor!:D

Steve

7. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Maybe we seek a bit too much prefection at times?

From an accountant, business coach or the like I would expect to have someone who was good at what they do. Period. If they smoke etc. that is their business. My personal preferences here would have little to do with my selection process.

If I was employing a Fitness Instructor smoking would have an influence but my general priority would be that the person 'practices what they preach' in their area of expertise. Similarly I would expect a Financial Planner to be actively and successfully investing. If they like the odd glass of red, good luck to them.

8. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Great minds think alike eh Mark *wink*.

Mark

9. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Yep...:D :D :D

10. iiinvestor

I don't think the issue is about having a glass of wine. I thought we were talking about people who are grossly overweight and are chain smokers.

A couple of questions:

Question 1: If someone doesn't have enough control to save themselves from the leading cause of premature death, would you want them controlling your business? In other words, would you trust them to give your business priority over their own life even though saving themselves is easier than any business task they will be given?

Question 2: If someone spent 10% of your time doing something that they know will kill them, would you be willing to pay for that? Additionally, would you be willing to pay them for another 20% of your time just thinking and craving this death sentence? Add to that: this activity provides absolutely no benefit to anyone except a company that profits from death.

If you answered yes to both, then I guess you don't mind leaving your business with grossly overweight chain smokers. :D

11. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Hi iiinvestor.

You're quite right, the issue wasn't about the odd glass of red. I didn't word that very well. :)

I guess I was generalising and saying the really important traits of an 'adviser' to me would be directly associated with the reason I was seeking their advice. I'd probably prefer they didn't have other perceived negative traits but to me it would be a secondary consideration. Live and let live. Varies depending on the type of 'advice' I suppose. :confused:

If Warren Buffet was 25kg overweight, drank 10 cokes a day and smoked, would I listen to his business advice? You bet! I just wouldn't follow his dietary suggestions. :D

12. iiinvestor

Me too! :)

I see your point. There are probably many cases where people are just really good at what they do regardless of their habits. And it would be a shame to get hung up on their hang ups if it was going to cost you.

I guess I was thinking more about a situation where you're about to go into business with someone whose results are unknown. Maybe I have been scarred by a recent project with a government depertment. Absolutely no word of a lie: employees ran stalls from their desks making money from each other by selling chips and candy! They had bar fridges at their desks with soda for sale too. Normally, not such a big deal, but these people were huge; many probably 150kg+. Forget the whole running tax-free businesses within a government department (these were serious setups), what about the health issues? Anyway... I'm obviously scarred. :eek:

13. quoll

quoll Member

books

I'm finding that more and more books are the answer. Haven't come across a coach worth the cash they are asking. But have found plenty of books that have bits of very wise info. The hard part is finding different book titles to search on and try to buy, or borrow. Local library is proving fantastic as is ebay.

If I found a great mentor I would be happy but until then I'll just stick to the books, and keep going to seminars and talking to others about coaches.

The other option is ditch the business and find something else to do to that can earn cash.

cheers
    quoll