business structure for new insurance broker

Discussion in 'Business Accounting, Tax & Legal' started by insurance, 6th Nov, 2013.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. insurance

insurance New Member

My situation is as follows:

Myself and my lovely girlfriend are preparing to start an Insurance Broker Business.

i have just completed the diploma in financial planning and will getting compliance through a dealer group.

this venture is the brain child of my girlfriend whso has worked in insurance for 6 years and will be doing the admin side of the business (not joining a dealer).

What will be the best business structure that we can set up?

We may only bring in $50,000 in the 1st year just starting a book with a view to becoming more full time after one year.

Is this worth setting up a trust to own the company to avoid a lot of CGT at a future date if we sell the book? How much will it cost to change business structures after a year?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are very raw to this but would like to avoid nasty surprises down the track.

Lucas

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Probably either
    - company as trustee of a discretionary trust, or
    - Company with shares owned by a discretionary trust.

Transfering business to a new entity down the track could result in stamp duty and CGT, not to mention asset protection issues.

3. insurance

insurance New Member

Thanks For the help Terry, this is all new to me.

Is it hard to set up a company owned by a DT and I'm assuming you take all the capital out of the trust periodically?

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Not hard. Just get a suitably qualified lawyer to set it up for you. Trust could pay out income and capital depending on the terms of the deed.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia