Buy and hold, how do you earn?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by nitro-nige, 1st Nov, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. nitro-nige

nitro-nige Active Member

Hi

I've been reading some of the Buffett books lately.
    They talk about buy and hold forever (okay I can see the logic) and reinvest any dividends back into the business or your share holding.

If you do that how do you earn any money from holding the shares?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm new to investment/share ownership.

Nige.

2. bundy1964

bundy1964 Well-Known Member

Helps to do that when your a director of the company pulling a wage from it. Franking credits can be claimed as they don't reinvest.

In the real world you either use LOE or you direct some/all of the dividends for personal use, I do suck some cash out to pay IP bills wich keeps the draw down tax deductable and pocket some dividends as well as the rent money.

3. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Nitro-nige,

Buffett receives dividends from the companies which he invests in, however he (Berkshire Hathaway) does not pay dividends. He did once and hated this.

His reasoning for this is along the lines of re-invest the money if the business is using the money efficiently rather than paying it to shareholders who cannot invest the funds as efficiently/profitably as the company who paid it.

Buffett's view is that he is buying into a business and not individual shares, hence he wants to buy and hold rather than trade.

Hope this helps,

Dan

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

It doesn't work quite so well when you're talking about $100,000 worth or even $1m ... but if you start talking about sums of $5m - $10m (or in Buffett's case, billions) ... then there's plenty of room to extract living costs from the proceeds while reinvesting the rest.

In the meantime, you work your job while building up the portfolio - and carefully use leverage to magnify your gains.

Down the track, you can also use equity to fund cashflow if you have enough growth in the portfolio to cover the debt growth, rather than just relying on income.

5. Rod_WA

Rod_WA Well-Known Member

I might be wrong, but I think Warren Buffett still drives his 1970s car and lives in the same house in Omaha that he lived in forty years ago. Clearly he doesn't pull much out to fund an extravagant lifestyle!

Last edited by a moderator: 1st Nov, 2007
  6. bundy1964

bundy1964 Well-Known Member

Still lives in the same house now worth 700k and pulls a 100k wage.

Warren Buffett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. nitro-nige

nitro-nige Active Member

Okay so all I need is a portfolio worth a few billion and the couple of million I take off to live on is insignificant.:)
    Right, better get to work on building a good portfolio.:p

8. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

The Australian law allows negative gearing, which often makes dividend reinvestment difficult as you are often short of cash flow.

Note that ASX published long term movements often assume full dividend reinvestment - which might not be a good idea if the security is not so great.

Also, published property value movements ignore all your holding costs as an investor !!

Cheers,

Rob

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.