Buy second home

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by pearls, 8th Oct, 2012.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. pearls

pearls Member

Hello,

My husband own a small unit with mortage against it 200k, he has not made any extra repayments as his budget did not allowed him. Now we want to buy a small unit about 140K by taking another home loan, keeping the first home without selling, our situation is both working ful time jobs with decent pay, I do not have permanent residency but my husband holds citizenship, we rented our own unit and living in a rental property since 5 months as we wanted some place close to work, if we buy a second home now, will it be subjected to CGT? is it a good option to buy without selling our first home to save on tax?

we will be paying tax on our first home rental income as we can claim upon depreciation, is it possible to claim on the second home too if we buy the property on my husband's name and rent it out.

kindly advise

Regards

Pearls

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes, you could possibly sell the existing unit CGT free.

3. pearls

pearls Member

Thanks Terry,

I am just wondering if it is anyways possible to keep our existing unit and buy 2nd home, rent both properties, paying 50% tax on rental income and claim some tax back on both of them in terms of depreciation etc, is that possible??

Regards,

Pearls

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Not sure what you mean about the 50%, but if you rent both houses out you could claim full deductions on all expenses including depreciation etc. But only one could be CGT free as your former main residence

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia