Join our investing community

Buying Houses Strategy

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by helloworld1, 6th Aug, 2015.

1. helloworld1

helloworld1 Member

I went to Mark Rolten (sp?) seminar a while back. It was free, I had no intention of buying whatever he was selling but thought it would be a good starting point.

One thing I picked up from his seminar was that you should buy at least 1 house every year with the intention of holding the homes for a 10 year period and then selling half to pay off the others...This obviously assumes they all double in price.

Is this a realistic goal? Has anyone else done this? Cheers

2. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

3. helloworld1

helloworld1 Member

Thanks, but more so asking about the technique not whether he is a scammer or not.

4. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

If you can save for deposit each year (required amount of money say 50K~100K), the technique may be good for you but it is not realistic for most of the people.
    Also double the price every 10 years it's a dream in most cases. You can check statistics on this one.
    Read some books and talk to property investors (I'm not a big fan of IPs).

5. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Finance Strategist

The timelines may be a bit enthusiastic - but the overall premise is there. A portfolio expansion and consolidation phase is a tried and true method to growing a retirement income stream.

The consolidation phase doesn't necessarily even have to involve a sell down point - it could end with diversification into other asset classes (shares), a smaller sell down and maintain a low level of debt or retaining all debt and switching to principal and interest (assumption of no non deductible debt) and allowing inflation + repayments to erode the debt down.