Buying shares - Trust vs Pty Ltd

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by ionic, 11th Jun, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

discussion, argument, debate, disagreement, etc = good

fight, flamewar, etc = bad

:D

2. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

Exactly ...

Why do you think such things as stapled securities exist in Australia ?

To cope with the unequal treatment of income and capital gains.

Trust holds capital appreciating assets and distributes income in the most tax-effective manner, while the company performs the active (and risky) management business.

Companies are very good at deferring income - kind of like a withholding tax at 30%. The net amount can be reinvested in the business. Any capital returns cop CGT and there is no 50% discount.

Discretionary trusts may also be able to split income to achieve low average tax rates and the beneficiaries can reinvest their present entitlements. With enough individuals the rate may be lower than 30%. They avoid CGT even E4 whilst benefitting from the 50% discount.

In both cases, small business CGT concessions *might* be available.

Cheers,

Rob

3. Waimate01

Waimate01 Well-Known Member

We're on the same track, but I think you're overcomplicating. In my scenario, there's only one company, not two. It's the "My Idea and Subsequent Investment Company Pty Ltd". I don't see there's any benefit in having the two companies with a dividend flow between them.

In your scenario, you're using two companies, a trust, and 8 human beings to achieve a similar outcome. Yes, yours is more flexible, but from where do I get the 8 human beings, and what if I need to scale up to $2m/yr ?

I agree that a company structure is not for everyone; certainly not for a beginner looking to invest their first few thousand.

But if you actually do the figures, you'll find a simple single company structure works very well for the accumulation of assets. It's not an unrealistic scenario because many people generate income other than through bequeathments and wages. Many people have business activities.

The only circumstance where a company is completely out of the question is where you're working for the man (even if that man is yourself), earning wages and paying personal tax. Then you definitely would not want to take your after tax savings and whack it in a personal investment company because the damage is already done.

I suppose it's also inadvisable if your business happens to be the local dry cleaner or milk bar, where someone might trip when they walk in the door and sue you, or where you might want to sell the business (maybe that's your two-company scenario). But if you are an author, programmer, composer or teleportation inventor, then it works well.

I really would encourage you to do the figures, as the winner really does depend on the assumptions of capital gain rate and retention.

BTW, thanks for this forum. I used to read the aus.invest newsgroup, but that is a wasteland these days. Google Groups aus_invest is okay, but not much goes on there. Chimes In Exile doesn't really do it, either. InvestEd is definitely the place to be. Let's hope you make your target.

4. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

What about a trading trust - another Aussie invention to overcome unequal tax treatments of companies for CGT ?

I still don't like the idea of assets being held by the same entity as the one that conducts the business !!!

Why not have a trust own the assets and license the right to use them to the company that runs the business ? Very good for intellectual property.

Cheers,

Rob

5. Simon Hampel

The one and only reason I described a two company scenario is for asset protection reasons - as you alluded to, and as mentioned by Rob ... running a business through the same entity which owns the assets is a big no-no, there are all sorts of things that can go wrong (not just someone tripping over on your premesis), and if you lose out - you stand to lose all of your assets, not just the business.

It's like insurance - you can live without it and you may never need it ... but if you do, you'll be so glad you had it.

As Rob mentioned - the way to do these types of things (using your scenario) is to separate the intellectual property (asset) from the operating business - and that same concept applies to other assets too.

Once you are talking about serious sums of money, operating several additional company (or trust) structures is not a big imposition.

Personally I have a trust which owns all my assets, including the shares in the companies I own or have a significant interest in. My trust was cashflow positive for a while - but alas due to recent market conditions (and me liquidating margined assets which were too heavily geared :rolleyes: ), it is now cashflow negative, and so any profits from my companies will be paid to my trust as dividends, soaking up the losses, and anything left over will then be distributed to the lowest income earners (currently me :eek: )

If I reach the situation where I'm simply generating too much income from my businesses - it's obviously time to buy more property via my trust :D

6. Waimate01

Well, the original poster invited people to 'discuss', so I guess he's getting his wish !

Interesting stuff, Sim & Rob. Let's say I've written a particularly nice poem, for which my company holds the copyright. And I let people recite the poem to each other, sending my company a small fee each time they do. What sort of cataclysmic events do you think I should be worried about ?

(A hypothetical example - I am not really a poetry billionaire).

7. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

Scenario #1.

Company owns copyright and proceeds to market/exploit the poem.

Company found guilty of breaches of various fair trading acts and fined heavily.

The intellectual property being assets of the company are at risk to satisfy court costs and fines.

Scenario #2

Intellectual property owned by a discretionary trust.

The trust licenses the use to a $2 company that markets/exploits the poem in an arm's length arrangement.

Any damages, fines, legal costs recoverable against the company are limited to the company's assets. The trust is a separate entity and not a party to the court proceedings.

Cheers,

Rob

8. Simon Hampel

Part of the problem is that you can't predict all scenarios that may see your assets put at risk.

Just because you can't conceive it doesn't mean it can't happen.

9. ionic

ionic Member

Ok,

so you don't mix your shares with your property in 1 property?

10. Waimate01

Good point.

11. Simon Hampel

I assume you meant to ask "so you don't mix your shares with your property in 1 trust" ?

From an asset protection point of view, it would be better (in theory) to have them separate - you can't be sued as a shareholder - so there is no risk from owning shares, but there are potential liabilities in owning property - especially with tenants.

If you were to follow this line of argument to the natural conclusion, then you would also only have one trust per property, and even one corporate trustee per trust. That all gets overly expensive and cumbersome to manage - especially if the properties are cashflow negative.

When I have enough assets to make a difference I may well set up a new trust, but in the interim, I am relying on my liability insurance to cover me for anything that might go wrong with my properties.

12. ionic

ionic Member

cant we rely on landlord insurance to cover us for any claims if any?

Mixing several propertys in 1 trust is kinda same as mixing property and shares in 1 trust, in terms of risk.

13. Simon Hampel

Landlords insurance mostly covers you for loss of rent and such - you need to check your insurance policy carefully to identify what other cover you have.

The main insurance you need is third party liability - typically used when someone injures themselves on your property and sues you for damages.

There may be a degree of liability cover in your building insurance, and some landlord insurance policies add additional protection.

$10m is about the minimum you'd need - although some suggest this is not enough ... if the courts start awarding damages in excess of this amount, you may need more.

There's a podcast from Nigel about landlords liability that I was going to publish next week - I might look at publishing it early, since it is very relevant to this discussion.

The other thing you need to do with your properties is to make sure they are kept in good repair and respond promptly to any reports of hazards. You can minimise the chance of being accused of negligence by making an effort not to be negligent!

14. ionic

ionic Member

Sim,

if i mix 4 properties in 1 trust, why not mix some shares and property in 1 trust?

with too many trusts, the accountant goes to the bank smiling from ear to ear....

15. Simon Hampel

Yes, as I mentioned in my previous post ... "[multiple trusts] all gets overly expensive and cumbersome to manage".

I hold all my investment assets (property and shares) in the one trust at the moment. It's not ideal - but it's what I've got for now.

That makes insurance very important.

16. ionic

ionic Member

If i buy shares with my company, should i also claim the gst?

Since I dont get the 50% CGT discount, I may as well list my company as a trader?

I usually hold shares for less than 1 year...

17. Simon Hampel

But are you actually carrying on a business of share trading?

Carrying on a business of share trading

... if the ATO deems that you are just an investor who happens to trade shares, they will deny some of your deductions.

18. ionic

ionic Member

well, i make at least 20 trades per month easily... and I have many broker accounts. With margin lending, I trade at least $20,000 of cfd per month.

I trade shares, CFD, FX, gold, silver.

Previously I did it under my own name, now I would like to do it thru my company.

Can i claim gst in my situation?

Do i qualify as trader?

19. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

Individuals tend to be treated as investors by the ATO, even when very active.

If you "trade" through a separate entity then you might be treated differently.

A trust can be a very active investor and yet the beneficiaries get any 50% discount on securities held more than 12 months.

There is no GST on shares, only brokerage which hopefully is a very small percentage.

If you are deemed a business, then beware Division 35 and non-commercial losses forcing you to defer loss deductions in some cases - needs planning & structuring.

Also if you are a company, beware of changes in ownership when there are carry-forward losses, loans to directors, use of property by employees, etc.......

In fact ... go see an advisor because there is just too much to consider from taxation, financial and estate planning, and asset protection viewpoints.

Cheers,

Rob

20. ilori

ilori Well-Known Member

Thanks for interesting discussion... must say I find this all very confusing, even after reading several books and listening to expert presentations, it still seems to be difficult to know. Just to add more confustion... there are some high profile people who argue against the use of Trusts at all (I believe Margaret Lomas writes about this with respect to real estate) and others have devised special Property Trusts for real estate that seem to have advantages over 'normal' Trusts (though I don't know if they are legally tested) - too much to get head around sometimes :)

In summary, is Trust + CorporateTrustee the best general way to go - considering tax effectiveness, asset protection, cost, simplicity?

If had three basic inter-related investment strategies:
    1. buy & hold real estate (growth + equity)
    2. buy & hold shares (growth + dividend flow)
    3. share trading (mainly cashflow)

Would the Trust-PtyLtd structure still be best?

Is it a key thing that the Trust must make an overall profit? (Inability to distribute losses & for FF dividends to apply.)

With respect to buy&hold shares and share trading - seems to me it's theoretically possible to 'split' the resulting capital gains and income over two names by operating half the activity in another person's name and having Authorised Authority to their accounts. (I think this achieves one of the goals of a Trust, of 'splitting' the tax - not as flexible as a Trust of course, but very simple and virtually no cost involved.)

Regards, Ilori