Managed Funds buying units when they've dropped in price: a good idea?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by transit, 19th Sep, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

I would analyse market - not managed fund.
    :p

2. transit

transit Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, all your comments are appreciated as it feels a bit like buyers remorse to me.

Sim, you mentioned:
    As for me, i think CFS have done a great job with the global resources fund... but of course that's been made a lot easier with the resource sector booming during this period. I'd like to think the sector still has some legs left in it (China & India), hence my thoughts on putting a bit more $ into it.

BladeCA, thanks for sharing. I also think this is a good fund and will most likely put some more into it in the near future, maybe about $5k in $500 lots to average my buy in price.

Tropo, you mentioned that averaging down is the worst idea but i still think it's a good fund and one i'd like to build up units in. To be honest, i'm hopeless with shares and feel that a MF is the best way for me to invest in the market without having to constantly monitor what's going on. Maybe i should just buy some bank shares and set & forget?

Hiflo, you make me feel better :) I've also tried to diversify a bit by having some $ in Platinum's Asia fund (+ive), Navra's Aussie retail fund (+ive), Macquarie equinox 6 (not doing very well) and CFS property security (+ive).

I guess i probably should have named the thread something like what are people's thoughts on the CFS global resources fund. Are there any others here who have put $ into this apart from myself, hiflo and blade?

Tropo, you mention analysing the market, not the fund. May i ask what are your thoughts on the resource sector? Specifically, what do you think of holding the CFS global resources fund long term?

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

So how would you analyse the market for, say, the Platinum Internation Fund, or the Platinum International Brands Fund ?

4. Simon Hampel

I'm just waiting for my new margin loan facility to be approved, then I'll be putting some $ into the Wholesale version of the CFS Global Resources fund. I'm kind of glad for the delay in setting this up ... the fund is cheaper now :D

5. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Analyse market charts (long term/short term trends etc) in relation to particular Fund you are interested in. You should get a picture. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Sep, 2006
  6. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"Tropo, you mention analysing the market, not the fund. May i ask what are your thoughts on the resource sector? Specifically, what do you think of holding the CFS global resources fund long term?"

Transit,

As you know Resources are in decline right now, so your Fund may be in decline as well.
    Nobody can tell what will happen say... 5 years from now. I am not CFS follower.
    ;)

7. Simon Hampel

My point was ... WHICH chart ? These funds invest worldwide.

What if you chose a fund that invested in a variety of asset classes across a variety of regions ... how would you analyse that ?

What I'm trying to say is - not everything can be "read" in a chart. Not everything has a clearly defined market. There are some investment managers who have the ability to make money in a variety of market conditions, especially taking into consideration the micro-economies that exist around the world.

Another question: at what point do you sell ? How much fluctuation in an IP or a MF can you stand before you get too nervous ?

8. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

If Fund is investing in say FTSE and or Nikkei check those
    charts...Yep.....A lot of work...
    A lot can be read from the chart. The only limit is the ability to read it
    correctly.
    You are correct. Few managers (only few) are able to make
    money in the different market conditions. The only problem is to find
    right managers to manage your money.
    Running portfolio hands on I would allow 2% stop loss per stock.
    ;)

9. Simon Hampel

So which fund managers do you currently use ?

10. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Currently only NI. :D

11. Simon Hampel

I was wondering how you managed with NI's strategy of buying into a falling market ? Seems to go against everything you would normally do.

Do you set your own "stop losses" for your NI investment ? ie. if the ASX200 (or the Dow) were to fall by more than a certain amount, would you sell out of your NI investment ?

12. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

NI strategy does not worry me a bit as long as NI is above sea level.
    If worse comes to worse I can cover potential loss by my own trading (some people call it hedging) if NI is substantially down.
    Hands on trading is another game which to some extent I can control. I can not control NI.
    :p

13. Andrew Allen

Andrew Allen Well-Known Member Business Member

Nice line of questioning Sim, could be some help for Tropo as well. I seem to remember I have read your strategy somewhere? Sim, or maybe you just told me in chat?

I laughed out loud when you said you invested in NI as a MF after your 'averaging down' comment Tropo, interesting how our mind can reconcile anything I say!

Averaging down is not the worst strategy ever, it's simple another trading cliche that needs further explanation before it can dispense any true wisdom. an AIM system is a potentially valid way to make money I think. I have done some very basic testing that replicated published NI results for a share (LEI), so I believe I have a fairly good understanding of the mechanics of this particular averaging down. AIM also violates another oft quoted cliche 'Let your profits run' (yes it's great wisdom but you need more explanation than just the soundbite). Last I heard I understood NI had a 10% portfolio cap on any share which is a decent enough start for disaster avoidance.

I think the key is having a strategy, continuing to improve it and continually implementing it.

Kind of like despite all the sophisticated things you know about money one of the most powerful ideas is to 'pay yourself first' and save x% of your take home pay.

Simple ideas can work well.

14. Simon Hampel

I agree totally ... there are many ways to achieve your goals ... it's a matter of finding something that works for you and refining it to get the most benefit from it over time.

This is one of the reasons I have an issue with the oft-quoted "axioms" about trading or investing ... I use the double quotes deliberately - they are used as axioms, but I truely believe they are not - and indeed tend to act as blinkers which stop people from keeping an open mind and investigating strategies which might work better for them.

For those unfamiliar with the term axiom - it is primarily used in mathematical proofs. Dictionary.com says an axiom is: "A self-evident or universally recognized truth; a maxim".

15. transit

transit Well-Known Member

Sim, did you get that margin facility sorted and put some $ into the CFS Global Resources Fund? I'm a bit slack with keeping on top of things and i've been o'seas for the last 4 weeks but i just checked the unit price and it's now back up to 1.3961 so i'm now up $110!

Damn, i should have put that $5k into some more units when i was thinking about it! Aah well, at least i (currently) have my capital back and am back in the black.

16. Simon Hampel

No - the new margin facility is taking a while (waiting on some documentation for the trust to replace the stuff that was lost when I moved accountants last year :rolleyes: )

I decided to go ahead with the investment through my existing margin lender, even though the LVRs aren't as good. I made my first investment into the CFS Wholesale Global Resources fund 3 weeks ago and another last week.

Fund has been a bit volatile of late, but I'm 1.19% up so far as of Thursday's unit prices.