Can I Borrow From Family For Shares + Claim Tax Deduction?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Kipps, 21st Aug, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kipps

Kipps Member

In Australia, I was wanting to borrow $100k from family at say 10% p.a. to buy shares (like you would a margin loan). This would generate $10,000 a year in interest payable to the person I borrowed the money from. Am I able to deduct the $10,000 interest from my taxable income as is the case with a bank offered margin loan or can I not deduct this $10,000 from my taxable income as it's not from a bank? Thanks!

2. jrc77

jrc77 Well-Known Member

Please note that I not am accountant .... and this is not advice etc etc :)

but my understanding is that if the rates are at a "commercial rate" of interest than this is acceptable. For example, I have used a standard home loan rate (say RBA indicator rate, or the CBA rate) + 2% (as it is a non secured loan).

However you should make sure there is a formal loan agreement signed by both parties.

Regards,

Jason

3. Kipps

Kipps Member

Thanks Jason. Any other opinions would be warmly welcomed :)

4. Smartypants

Smartypants Well-Known Member

Hi Kipps.

My advice is to seek out an opinion from an accountant before preceding with anything like this

5. Kipps

Kipps Member

Of course but I didnt feel like spending $500.00 on an accountant opinion if its obvious it cant be done, hence asking for preliminary views here first.