Can I do this or?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by layer181, 9th Nov, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. layer181

layer181 Member

Hi Everyone,
    First thread on this forum I have been lurking in the background for awhile.
    I have plucked up the courage to ask for some help.

Having survived two heart attacks and heart bypass surgery I have been left with a badly damaged heart and I am on six different medications a day.I have been on the disability pension last few months and finding it a tad hard to cope ,wife does not work(and too proud to claim a carers pension)
    I can't be too hard on her she is 58years old and has always been a housewife looking after our five children.
    All my five children are grown up and self sufficient Thank God.I still have a
    full Real Estate licence and an ABN.My question is if anyone can help.Can I
    set up a small business and work up to 8 hrs a week?Have my wife as a fulltme worker/partner/contractor or similar and pay her the bulk of income earned as I do not want to lose my pensioner concession card.My medications
    would normally cost $350.00 + and only cost about $27.00 with the card.

Someone suggested I could use a trust and do it that way.I would greatly appreciate some advice or any other ideas I could implement to do this if at all possible before I approach a solicitor and an accountant.

Many thanks.
    Layer181

2. R185

R185 New Member

having your wife as a contractor and transferring your income to her will not be accept by the ATO, as they do not see it as an arms-length transaction.

setting up a trust which owns the company you created and have you as a salaried employee is probably the better way to go about it...

Cheers
    R

<Thoughts NOT advice>
    <Do your own research>

3. layer181

layer181 Member

Thanks for the help R185.

I was wondering wether I need to go to the extent of a trust and a company structure or would just a business registration do the trick,I do not think I will be able to put too many hours which means it wiil not be a great income.

My sincere thanks once again.
    Layer181

4. PJCA

PJCA Member

It may be the case that you can trade through a discretionary trust and distribute the income to your spouse. A sticking point will be the Personal Services Income provisions and whether you are able to meet them.

A general comment, not advice.

5. R185

R185 New Member

It would be hard for me to comment without knowing more about your personal circumstance...

I suggest that you see an accountant.

Regards
    R

6. layer181

layer181 Member

Thanks for trying

Thanks for the advise PJCA and you are right R185 I will speak to an accountant