Can one partner be assigned 0% of profits in a family partnership?

Discussion in 'Business Accounting, Tax & Legal' started by Skyblues, 9th Nov, 2011.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Skyblues

Skyblues Member

Hi,
    My other thread 'Discretionary trust or family partnership with my fiance' still has not received any answers, so want to ask a quick question that will help me keep going...

In short, can one partner be assigned 0% or 1% of profits in a family partnership? We aim to establish an importing/e-commerce business in the 1st quarter of 2012, while keeping our day jobs and my partner is a low income earner...For income distribution/taxation benefits, can you establish a family partnership and assign one partner - me 0% or 1% of profits and her 100% of the business profits - in order to distribute the income tax-effectively?

Please see my questions about whether doing all this will be better in a Discretionary Trust in the other thread - if you will suggest a Discretionary Trust instead...

Thanks...

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It wouldn't be much of a partnership then.

3. Arman

Arman Member

Yes you can assign 1 partner 0% or 1%, but it may look suss if you change the percentage from year to year.

I would suggest establishing a discretionary trust with yourself as the trustee. There is only a one-off cost of a few hundred $$ and no yearly fees (if you use a company as a trustee then there will be an annual company fee). With a trust it's definitely possible to vary the profit distributions each year.

Hope this helps.