capital gains tax on inherited house

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by 181pacific, 19th Nov, 2014.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 181pacific

181pacific New Member

Hi

I have questions regarding capital gains tax on the sales of a house I inherited from my mother. In May 2001, my mother purchased a house for $600,000. It had been her primary residence. She passed away in December 2002 (I lived with my mother during that period) and I inherited the house from her according to the will. The value of the house at the time was $670,000. Up until June 2004, the house had been my primary residence.

However, since 1 July 2004, the house has been rented out and generated rental income for me up until now and during that period I have lived a different property as a tenant. I do not own any other house other than the house I inherited from my mother.

Now I am considering selling the house and I?ve had conflicting advices.

My questions are;
    Firstly, I would like to know if I can be exempt from CGT all together for the sale of the house since the house I inherited was the main residence of my mother.

The ATO website provide the below information about the exemption of CGT to inherited house.
    "If you inherit a house that was the main residence of the person who left it to you, a capital gain on its subsequent disposal may be exempt from tax."
    (https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Capi...ng-CGT-assets/Records-relating-to-inheritance)

Secondly, if for some reason CGT applies, I would like to know how I can calculate CGT.

Can I apply the "six-year rule" and claim the house as my main residence for the portion of the period I rented out the house although I did not live in the house? If so, I will be exempt for CGT since the first day I rented out the property for the following six years (i.e. 1 Jul 2004 ? 30 Jun 2010), right?

Then I calculate the difference between the cost price as at 30 June 2010 and the sales price when I sell the house for the amount of capital gain and then apply the "50% discount" for owning the house for more than 12 months?

Last edited by a moderator: 19th Nov, 2014
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

you can't be exempt as you have be absent for more than six years.

You will have to apportion it.