Capital works as tax deduction

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by GeorgeG, 16th Jan, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Member

Hi all,

I have a question regarding capital works - Can they be declared as a tax deduction against the sale of a property? By capital works I mean renovation costs.

Here's my situation - I bought a property 6 months ago. Since then I have renovated it and now want to on-sell (it hasn't either been lived in by myself or rented out).

So when I eventually sell, can I turn-around and go to the tax man (for example) and say "Yes, I made $40K profit on this property, but it cost me $20k to improve its value. Can I claim this as a tax deduction?"

George

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I would have thought that such capital expenditure would be added to the cost base of the asset, thus showing a smaller capital gain when you sell ?

In other words, I think it generally works exactly the way you mentioned ... but it's not so much a "tax deduction" as a reduction in the capital gain, hence less CGT paid.

From your example, your net gain would be $20K and this is what you would pay CGT on. Which is what I think you were aiming for ?

Of course, if you held for more than 12 months, you would get the 50% CGT discount as well.

3. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Member

Hey Sim,

Yes, that's what I was aiming for - CGT on the $20K profit. OK, so the renovation costs get added to the base cost and it all works from there....cool.

Thanks.

Btw, if I hold it for a year, even if it's a rental, I still get the 50% CGT discount?

George

4. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Yep I'm with Sim.

Your cost base has increased, so your gain has reduced.

And yes George if held for a year you're CGT is halved.

5. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

At the risk of getting all tax technical...

115-25(1) To be a * discount capital gain, the * capital gain must result from a * CGT event happening to a * CGT asset that was *acquired by the entity making the capital gain at least 12 months before the CGT event.

115-100 The discount percentage for an amount of a * discount capital gain is:

(a) 50% if the gain is made:
    (i) by an individual; or
    (ii) by a trust (other than a trust that is a * complying superannuation entity); or

(b) 33 1/3% if the gain is made:
    (i) by a complying superannuation entity; or
    (ii) by a * life insurance company from a * CGT asset that is a * virtual PST asset.

Fun huh? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: 16th Jan, 2007
  6. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Spot on there George. Don't forget, however, that if you went and had a depreciation schedule done on the property then the benefits of these tax breaks will be deducted from your cost base. After all, you don't avoid paying tax with depreciation- you simply defer it until you do sell. The taxman giveth and he taketh away :D

Nigel,

Trust you to get technical- just what I'd expect from a solicitor ;)

7. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

We'll Nick's been busy so someone has to bore people with tax :D

8. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Member

Hey Jacque,

A depreciation is definately on the cards if I m going to hold and rent (not sure what I'll do yet). I had one done on my last unit (mid 2005) and its doing wonders for my tax refunds each year - reduces the negative gearing each week (when you go back and avg. it out over the year) by 30%.

George