Managed Funds Capitalise or Prepay interest on Margin loan?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by artgul, 9th Apr, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. artgul

artgul Well-Known Member

I have a question I'd like to check if someone can assist me with- What would be a better strategy and why?:

1- To capitalise interest on a margin loan or
    2- Prepay in advance the interest for a year using funds from the same margin loan

For the 1rst scenario LVR would start at 50%. For the 2nd scenario I'd say LVR will start at around 53%.

Thanks,
    artgul

2. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Capitalising is popular around these parts :) and for good reason in a bull run.

I'm more conservative than others in this respect though, and pre-pay for 12 months each June (end of FY).

This allows me to get a small deduction in interest cost, and claim it against income immediately effectively.

Then when growth occurs to my portfolio during the year I tap into this equity by buying more shares or units.

The only thing is that each year the money I need to save to pre-pay the interest has increased quite a lot, so it's becoming a savings challenge. I could always get my distributions in cash but I'd rather not at this stage if I can help it.

3. artgul

artgul Well-Known Member

Hi Glebe, I'm trying to understand the differences (pros and cons), between capitalising the interest or prepaying it in advance but, using funds from the marging loan.
    Thanks,
    artgul

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

You are capitalising the interest in both scenarios, so the only real difference is in the timing of the payment.

Paying in advance

Pros:

• slight discount on interest rate
    • bring next year's expenses forward to this year, offsetting this year's income
    • remove interest rate fluctuations

Cons:

• need sufficient LVR capacity to capitalise a years worth of interest
    • interest rate discount is relatively trivial
    • bringing forward expenses creates a potential tax problem the following year, unless interest is pre-paid again (needs to be done perpetually - at best deferring the expense)

Capitalising without pre-paying

Pros:

• LVR capacity requirements significantly less - can potentially afford to gear higher

Cons:

• subject to interest rate fluctuations (unless you fix interest rates, but pay in arrears)

... so which is better ? That's up to you !!!

5. bundy1964

bundy1964 Well-Known Member

I have gone capitalised and with the bumpy ride that was March this is the first month that I have had to pay interest as I was mostly holding and not trading. I also found out I now get a discount of 0.25% from the standard rate which most likely is from holding their shares. It also lets me grow without the interest playing such a big part being upfront.

All I could find was this in the FAQ.

Last edited by a moderator: 11th Apr, 2007
  6. gad

gad Well-Known Member

You can capitalise the interest & still claim that interest against your income in your tax return, which can be quiet beneficial.
    Although I would only do that if I was reinvesting, or at least, reinvesting 50% of the distributions to keep the LVR in check.
    And that is while we are enjoying such favourable market condition, strategy may need to change if (& when) the market conditions change (& they will).

Edit:
    I should have also mentioned that by capatalising you interest, your debt will get higher but as long as your keeping your LVR to a managable rate (say 50% to be conservative), the growth in your funds will well compensate for that increase in debt.
    (Read some of Sims earlier threads on managed funds).