Capitalise Property Interest

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Matt1, 4th Oct, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Dave
    Actually it is possible, I know STGeorge offer a LOC called Portfolio loan
    and that gives you the ability to have 1 main LOC and several other individual LOC's with customer specified limits etc.
    This makes it easy to keep track of the interest for each IP or each investment.
    The only problem is they charge fees of $14/month per LOC.
    I believe other lenders have something similar and they also have fees
    but if we are in the business of making money fees should not be a concern...:)
    Cheers
    Bill

2. DaveA__

DaveA__ Well-Known Member

This is the perfect product for things like these.... i wasnt going to mention it to keep it simple...

i wasnt aware of the fees but if you get a professional pack it usually wipes out fees.. Maybe something to check with a broker about this...

However $14 a month for simplicity may save many $$$s in accounting fees...

3. JustB

JustB Well-Known Member

I'm refinancing to the St George Portfolio Loan at the moment (just waiting on valuation to come through for the 2nd IP).

The fee for the professional package of the St George Portfolio loan is $375pa, so well worth it if you require more than 2 sub-accounts. Monthly statements are provided for each individual sub-account, so tax time should be hassle free.

The only caveat I see, the Portfolio Loan variable interest rate is 10 basis points higher - currently 7.72% with the 0.7% discount for the professional package.

4. Ronan

Ronan Member

BV & others,

Say the IP loan was $100,000 and after 2 years the balance of the dedicated LOC used to pay the interest & expenses was $20,000.

If I wanted to refinance with another lender, would you see any problem with combining them into 1 loan with the new lender for $120,000 and continuing to claim the interest on the full amount?

Cheers,
    Ronan

5. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Hi Roman,
    I don't see any problem with it as long as you have good traceability.
    I haven't done this with my IP's because my IP support LOC is with a different lender.
    Keep good clean records.
    Cheers
    Bill

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice