Join our investing community

Car insurance question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sharejunky, 28th Jun, 2008.

1. sharejunky

sharejunky Well-Known Member

I recently was in an accident that was 100% the other driver's fault (old lady coming out of a driveway without looking and attempting to drive the wrong way down the road.) She is covered by RACQ Insurance which paid the $10k repair bill for my car (now repaired and paid for), but is ignoring my claim for $500 for a rental car for the two weeks my repairs took. OK it's great that she was insured and the repair bill was paid, but as the victim shouldn't all my costs be compensated for? (Not to mention all the time and hassle it's cost me, but I've made no claim for that.) Any experts out there who could give me some idea please? (btw I'm registered but not insured.)

2. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi ShareJunky,

Not sure what it is called in QLD, in NSW we would basically send a "letter of demand" to pay the costs. In this case, $500 that your out of pocket to ensure you could move around as you normally with your vehicle that this person wrecked your vehicle, hence you had to get a rental vehicle which cost $500.

The RACQ isn't your issue. RACQ should be sorting out between their client whether or not they are going to cover the cost through the insurance.

Your issue is that a little old lady owes you $500 for rental vehicle costs as she wrecked your vehicle.

As this is a civil case you should speak to a solictor about what to do (yes, add the solictors invoice to what they owe you).

Cheers,

Dan

PS Don't forget to speak to a registered solictor...

3. sharejunky

sharejunky Well-Known Member

Yes thanks I sent a letter about a week ago. The problem with lawyers though is I doubt they'd be interested considering it's only for an amount
    of $500... isn't that about what they charge just to listen to you in the
    first place?

4. Tzaki

Tzaki Well-Known Member

I know that my insurance covers a rental vehicle FOR ME if mine is damaged, I assume that the insurer would then chase the "perp" to recover these costs, check with your insurer that they cover this otherwise go as ASX suggests. Also some legal types go for the "no win no fee " type cases, these may be an option.