Managed Funds CFS fund, investsmart & fees

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by thommonz, 5th Feb, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. thommonz

thommonz New Member

Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker :)

I'm wondering if anyone here has any managed funds with investsmart. I'm looking to invest in the CFS Global resources fund. If I invest through investsmart the 4% contribution fee is waived, but if I choose to reinvest the income from this fund - will they also waive the reinvestment on subsequest contributions?

Also, if anyone has any comments on this fund I'm all ears - I'm looking for a long term investment with this one to ride out subprime and currency strife

cheers

2. investfreq

investfreq New Member

Hi, thommonz, I'm also a relative newbie here.

I have funds in CFS Global Resources but don't use InvestSmart. I figured out that by using the CFS margin loan facility I could avoid the contribution fee - apart from the initial amount. That is, buy using the margin loan, which doesn't have a contribution fee, then repay that amount of the loan. This may not be an option if you just want to invest a lump sum. Also margin lending is risky at the moment. CFS allows up to 50% LVR, but I'm trying to keep mine under 30%

There's no contribution fee for automatically reinvested distributions.

Global Resources is the one CFS fund that I'm happiest with. I've invested into several other CFS retail funds over the past year, but because of their fees + poor performance have decided to pull out of them soon and instead put my money into high interest savings + index ETFs, with maybe a small amount in direct shares. I'll probably keep the Global Resources for a while though, unless anyone knows of a similar ETF?

cheers
    Shannon

3. samaka

samaka Well-Known Member

Yes, waived on future contributions.

I got into this fund right before the drop at the start of this year. It's faired pretty well in that period.

[chart=CC;FSF0244AU,XJO;last3;none;20080205]FSF0244AU, XJO[/chart]

4. thommonz

thommonz New Member

thanks for the replys, good to hear that you guys are thinking positively of this fund