Managed Funds CFS Property Securities Fund v Australian Unity Property Securities Fund

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Lam Thieu, 30th Sep, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lam Thieu

Lam Thieu Well-Known Member

These two appear to be the best performing funds for Property Securities.

Australian Unity seems to outperform CFSin the past and charges only a slightly higher MER.

Are there any advantages in investing in these funds with the supposed lul in the property market?

2. DaveA__

DaveA__ Well-Known Member

its been discussed many times before. Be careful with unity as the 60% return in the last year has scewed all other years so it looks better...

Additionally ive been invested in unity for 6 or 7 months now and my % return is currently negative. This means that for the other 5-6 months (between october 06 and feb 07) thats when they produced the 60% return. It seems very much a one hit wonder. Its no wonder they only provide the daily price and not historical data for their fund....

3. shouldisell

shouldisell Well-Known Member

I almost made that mistake when looking at a few funds.

I can't remember which fund in particular, but the average return only looked decent because they had a few successful months.

I think the actual returns should be made more easily available, so that beginners like me don't get all excited over the averaged figures.

Why don't investsmart and direct access list the actual returns?

Anyway, I just recently invested into the CFS Property Securities Fund. My account hasn't even opened yet, but I'm hoping it all works out well.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

As you requested: http://www.invested.com.au/7/compare-funds-managed-fund-comparison-charts-20131/ :D

Your experience is exactly why I started building the first versions of this system well over a year ago - I got caught out by looking at historic rolling averages, which hid the fact that some funds previously had fantastic years - but were now actually performing pretty poorly. I wanted to see the real data and couldn't find it anywhere, so I started building a system to calculate this information for myself!

5. shouldisell

shouldisell Well-Known Member

Awesome Sim.

I'll definitely find that useful when I start searching for my next fund.

6. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

I think its important to look at a fund which generates consistent returns.. I think some of us would have trouble holding onto a fund for years without growth..

7. Lam Thieu

Lam Thieu Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for this.

The GLobal Resources Fund from CFS is not doing that badly as well...not too sure at the momment, resources or property

8. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

well LGL is going gang busters.. so I assume resources fund would be benefiting from this!