Changing locks

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by JudgeDreadz, 17th Nov, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JudgeDreadz

JudgeDreadz Well-Known Member

Good morning fellow investors

I have never changed a lock before. From all accounts, it seems to be a simple process.

I found this article after a quick googling

Wikihow

Can anyone indicate if anything is missing from the process, any tips and tricks not mentioned.

In addition, can anyone recommend locks?

Thanks in advance

2. merlinnn

merlinnn Member

I have been a locksmith for many years, the simplest thing to do is remove the existing lock, take into a locksmith shop and get them to change the combination for you, this is usually cheaper then buying a new lock and you will be guaranteed it will fit back in the same place.:)

3. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

I don't believe you need a guide to change a lock.
    You use a screwdriver to take the old 1 out, fit another 1 that looks the same in it's place, put the screws back on.

If you find exactly the same lock then no problem, but if you don't find the same lock there could be small differences and if you are not good with tools then go for Merlinn's locksmith idea.

Security screenlocks can be tricky to replace sometimes but it's all common sense stuff.

If you are changing more than 1 lock it could be beneficial having them keyed alike. If you look at locks in Bunnings the packets have a code, if you get 2 locks with matching codes they'll use the same key

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.