Changing my super portfolio ??..

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by juank, 15th Feb, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. juank

juank New Member

Hi guys,

I've living in Sydney for 3 years and I would like to secure the future of my super with the right decision.

I'm 34y....married and I have about $12.000 in my super.

How can I manage my super for a strong return in the years to come ?...Australian shares ?...cash ?? :confused:

I need a good advice from you guys.. !

thanks,

JUAN:)

2. samaka

samaka Well-Known Member

Get more than $12 in there ;)

The first thing I would look at is the government co-contribution. Depending on your income, if you put $1000 in they govt will give you $1500.

Because you've got a long time till retirement (30yrs) I'd put the majority of your super in to a high growth option, and leave a little in cash.

3. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

Ditto ^ look at the super co-contribution.

4. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Juank

What's your sallary like?
    If you are on a high income bracket maybe you can sallary sacrifice and put money straight into your super?

Cheers

5. juank

juank New Member

My salary is $70.000 before tax....should I put my super in a high growing portfolio for some years ??...5...7 years ??...how can identify a really good one ?

cheers !

JUANK:)

6. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Juank,

With $70K sallary and considering your age I wouldn't worry about sallary sacrifice.

To answer your question:
    All super companies will have similar performance and they should all have the HIGH GROWTH option.
    Does your work have their own super fund?
    If it does, then investigate their performance and fees
    Which super company are you with now?

I am with Australian super (old STA) and I am happy with it.
    A couple of years ago I would have put my money into their High Growth fund.
    but if I wanted less risk I would have chosen their balanced fund.
    However, times are a bit turbulant at present so for the next year or so IMHO we should be more conservative.

Approx. 6 months ago I moved all my super into their cash fund .
    I knew that if the stockmarkets crashed my super would have got hammered (as it did last time this happened) so I wasn't going to let it happen again.
    It's very easy to move your super money between their various plans
    You do this online in 5 minutes but it takes your super fund a couple of weeks to complete the transfer.

So short term I would stick to cash, but when the finance markets settle in a year or so it could be time to go back to Balanced. In peak times I would move over to high growth.

IMO all super companies will have -ve growth this year because of the issues with the stockmarkets. only their conservative selections such as cash, capital guaranteed etc will make 5% or so.

Summary:
    Because you have a long term view and because your super has already lost money so your fund managers will now be in damage control mode you could leave your super where it is, just pick a plan that has relatively consistant returns and go for it.
    Alternatively, you could join the scary cat club and switch to cash :)
    Cheers

7. Soy

Soy Well-Known Member

cash or balance ?

*Bump *
    We are close to retiring age and are going to sal /sac nearly all of our salary into super in the next few years.We hope 3 years of doing this would set us up fine into our golden years ...
    With the current market condition would you put it in cash or balance ? What does your crystal ball say ?
    Thanks,

8. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

I'll leave mine in cash for at least 6 months

Cheers