Join our investing community

Chaser setups :(

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jacque, 26th Jun, 2007.

1. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

I laugh so much at these guys (Chasers War on Everything) so it was downright disappointing to learn that not all of their stunts are surprises! Take the Open Home stunt, for example... it looked so good! Kind of takes the fun away now, if we don't know if they're set up or for real :confused:

Set-ups fact of life | Herald Sun

2. vandalic

vandalic Active Member

A shame isn't it. Although, it was obvious the Anthony Mundine one was fake.

3. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

Don't worry, there's enough stuff in the show that's so obviously not staged that it still remains a great show. For instance that Firth id10t in the states confronting Hilary Clinton and trying to get a job as her intern and showing photos of himslef to her in the buff as part of his resume.

When watching the Open House skit I laughed but was actually hoping it was staged.

For my mind, when the Chaser takes on the big end of town then the gloves should be off, but when they are doing skits on a more private nature, such as the Open Home, then they should be careful of the possible harm they can cause. I think on the whole they do that quite well.

They are a great continuation of shows like Front Line.

I'll be watching them tonight.

4. yo yo ma

yo yo ma Member

I have just watched the first season on DVD & listened to the commentry for the inside information. The reason that stunts are "set up" is because everything has to be cleared by ABC legal. No-one can be shown on the show without their permission & they cannot hide a camera & secretly film. So, a lot of footage doesn't actually make it to air.

For example, take the ad road test for oral B toothbrushes where they barged in on dentists to see if they really used oral B... for legal reasons they cannot just barge in on dentists, so they called up the dentists & got their permission to visit BUT they didn't say when they were coming & went straight away into the surgeries. So technically it was a set up but there was still surprise, especially from the secretaries.

Another example is the taxi drivers where they took a short trip of about 20m... off camera, they gave the drivers good tips ($10-50) depending on how much they were inconvenienced.

When they appeared on sunrise & swore, yes it was a set up but Mel & Koshy did not know they were going to swear, so there was genuine surprise.

I think TT did a bit of a beat-up on the boys because they have copped so much... & because they were meant to meet them for an interview & got picked up by the Peter Meakin Booze Bus... the boss would not have been happy.

So maybe just watch knowing that some stunts may be somewhat set-up but only when they have to be... they would rather get natural reactions out of people.
    Steve