Choosing an estate agent to sell a property

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by captainm, 4th Feb, 2014.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. captainm

captainm New Member

Hi,

I'm planning to sell my property in Thomastown VIC, and I was approached by an agent in Plenty VIC which is about 3 suburbs across from my property. I would like to know what your thoughts are about selling a property through an agent who isn't local to the area? Have any of you had any experiences or recommend this?

Regards
    Neil

2. GregReid

GregReid Well-Known Member

Neil,
    I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, some will do it well, others may not know the market as well as local agents. Does most properties sell via an auction method or is it private sale, what are the buyers demographics that are looking, are they local looking to upgrade/downsize or are they new to the area, where are they looking, is it local papers or internet or looking at local displays in real estate agents shop fronts? I suggest you talk to local agents as well and ask a series of questions to find one you are comfortable with who you believe will work for you to obtain your price you want.

It could also be worth thinking about using a vendors agent to assist. They get paid similar to a real estate agent, they share the commission on sale.
    Good luck with it.
    Greg

3. Blueeye

Blueeye Member

Has the agent sold properties in your suburb previously? What is their track record like? It may work out, it may not. Just do a bit of research. He approached you so they must have a bit of knowledge about the area.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.